Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
  1. #51 Re: Motorbikes / Expressways 
    C-Moto Guru
    TIC

Despite what I wrote above I'm still aware that this isn't my country and I'm not going to go crazy if I get turned away but I'm still going to try and make a difference for the benefit of mcmkind!

2. #52 Re: Motorbikes / Expressways 
    Quote Originally Posted by soberpete View Post
    "...Bikes just can't ride on expressways; they're not capable."
    I replied:
    I rode on expressways in the USA and the UK (a little lie but many have and one of them might have well been me).
    "But this is China"
    I replied:
    "And I'm not Chinese"

"...Bikes just can't ride on the expressway; it's too dangerous."
    I replied:
    "All Chinese roads are dangerous."

"...Bikes just can't ride on the expressway; there's never been one bike go through these gates."
    I replied:
    "Today could be the first and nobody has to know"
    Your conversation deserves a place in the TIC (This si China) thread, well done!
    And looking forward to the next episode

3. #53 Re: Motorbikes / Expressways 
    The reason I've never stressed about not being able to ride on freeways is that they are a tedious way to travel that makes your tires go all horrible and square, the tolls are overpriced and you quickly rack up expense and the signing is abysmal. If you were by chance able to go on one you'd be looking at the scenery wondering about what the riding you were missing out on was like. The food gives you diarrhea, everything is overpriced and the toilets stink. Also if you were able to get on and wanted to stay legal you'd have to stick to 80kms an hour which would mean you'd being overtaken by cars and trucks constantly getting hideous wind-blast. So I guess they are right, it would be dangerous, only because of their dumb rules though.

Pete, they'll hate you if you start telling them the actual laws. China is 'rule by man (incompetent douche-bag), not rule by law', same problem that the blind lawyer bloke had.

4. #54 Re: Motorbikes / Expressways 
    C-Moto Guru
    ZMC888 is right.
    After reading that I kinda don't even want to try it any more.

5. #55 Re: Motorbikes / Expressways 
    I finally mustered up the courage to ride up to the gate of nearest the expressway entrance two weeks ago. The nice looking girl just giggled at me after I said "ni hao" and a guy (maybe her superior) ran over flapping his arms, doing his very best to deter me and explain that what I wanted to do was impossible in every aspect of physics.

I didn't get on, or try to force my way on but I did...
    1: force them to reroute about 3 articulated lorries and a dozen cars from behind me into the adjacent entrances.
    2: get the girl in the booth at my gate reposted into another lane gate effectively closing mine.
    3: have a chat with the guy and I explained to him that I'd read several documents and even spotted questions on my theory test that stated motorcycles were allowed on the Gao su lu if capable of following the rules.

"...Bikes just can't ride on expressways; they're not capable."
    I replied:
    I rode on expressways in the USA and the UK (a little lie but many have and one of them might have well been me).
    "But this is China"
    I replied:
    "And I'm not Chinese"

"...Bikes just can't ride on the expressway; it's too dangerous."
    I replied:
    "All Chinese roads are dangerous."

"...Bikes just can't ride on the expressway; there's never been one bike go through these gates."
    I replied:
    "Today could be the first and nobody has to know"

Our little chat seemed to amuse him and he seemed to be quite charmed by my politeness + persistence. He asked me a few questions like where I'm from, what I'm doing here and how is it that I can speak Chinese.

I asked him if I could talk to his boss and he said that he wasn't there at the time.

"What if I showed you the test questions that state bikes are allowed on the expressway?"
    He replied...
    "Bring them with you to show him next time and he might let you on" I'm allowed on by law but it's still a random expressway entrance manager's choice? I feel like telling him to prove that I can't go on instead of asking me to prove that I can. How long will they stick to the things they think they know while avoiding their duties and ignoring the documents that clearly state national laws.

I've got the docs ready + the youku video about bikes on expressways in the post above by Steve_R.
    I'm going to try again tomorrow.
    You go boy.

6. #56 Re: Motorbikes / Expressways 
    I agree with ZMC888 plus little 125,150,200 and 250 don't like being pined for long periods of time.

7. #57 Re: Motorbikes / Expressways 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdamo View Post
    I agree with ZMC888 plus little 125,150,200 and 250 don't like being pined for long periods of time.
    Good point. It's not the best thing to do to a small engine but I must say that the YBR 250 rides pretty comfortably around 120kph. I could maintain some speeds between 100 and 120 without pushing the engine too hard and without getting overtaken by 90% of the expressway traffic.

8. #58 Re: Motorbikes / Expressways 
    Good point. It's not the best thing to do to a small engine but I must say that the YBR 250 rides pretty comfortably around 120kph. I could maintain some speeds between 100 and 120 without pushing the engine too hard and without getting overtaken by 90% of the expressway traffic.
    Would you sit on 120kph for 2-4 hours? Ok I know Xinjiang is different to every where else.

120kph is slow up here.

9. #59 Re: Motorbikes / Expressways 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdamo View Post
    Our little scooter-biker-gang (110, 125, 150 and 200) was on the expressway outside Beijing last Monday. My 125, "cruising" at 95 kp/h (WOT), sucked the gas like there was a hole in the tank. Also, the 13 inch wheels made my brain think of all kinds of horror scenarios. Fortunately, there wasn't any other traffic around.

Still paid the full toll price.

Why the expressway? Well, we were lost and were actually racing some sidecars back home. According to the sidecar crew, who were at the shop when we arrived, they had been waiting 15 minutes for us ... yeah, well, next time we will have a race through central Beijing traffic, on a Saturday afternoon.

Nyet, expressways are no fun.

10. #60 Re: Motorbikes / Expressways 
    C-Moto Guru
    Update:

I did try again on the 25th but I was met with a guy far less reasonable with the first.
    Despite the progress that I felt had been made with this second guy, he made me feel hopeless: He pretended (I could see it in his body language and in his eyes) to be on my side but really he was just trying to save me from losing face even though mine is nothing like a Chinaman's face.
    I'll continue this thread later when I have the morale to do so.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast