Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 Re: Bikerdocs' 650TR (CF650-2) review 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Thanks for the detailed review. I found it very helpful, especially since I had been planning on picking one of these up. For now, I think I will pass. I will let the bugs get worked out, and wait for the next generation.

As for new adv/dp bikes coming up, I feel the same way - let the bugs get worked out, first. There seems to be a culture of Chinese manufacturers throwing their "new" bikes out too soon, in the domestic market, and having Chinese customers serve as beta testers.

IMHO, the best mid-range adv/dp bike in the domestic Chinese market is the Jialing JH600. It has been on the market for five years, and most of the quirks (e.g., the ECU) have been worked out and are now history. I gotta say that having been a beta tester for Jialing really pissed me off, and I won't risk that one again by buying another just-out-the-door Chinese release. But for just a little North of 30K for a brand new JH600, it seems to be relatively good value.

This is probably why I am shy about getting a 650TR. Interestingly, a large Beijing dealer cautioned me away from the Shineray 400cc for this very reason - he said they are not quite ready for market, and to wait at least a year. That dealer has been selling them for a while, but has now tucked them into the back of the showroom.

Your observations about the inferior components on China-market bikes (versus the export bikes) is very interesting. One barometer I use in assessing new models is how many low-mileage used ones are available. I don't know how many new Benelli 600s were sold, but there is a very large number of them in Beijing's used bike market. I realize that my "barometer" is completely unscientific, but I can't help wondering why so many people are selling them. Perhaps those lower quality components really do make a difference, from what we read/see of the bike's overseas reviews.

Definitely appreciate you taking the time & making the effort to give us this review. You saved me some coin, and probably a few headaches.

2. #2 Re: Bikerdocs' 650TR (CF650-2) review 
    Hi Bikerdoc

If i may can i just add the latest review i can find on the web to add to your great review from a guy called "Paddy Tyson" from overland magazine UK. dated 16th Aug 2013

link:http://overlandmag.com/features/cf-moto-wk650tr-review/

price in the UK on the road is just over £5k with 20% VAT and import dutys which must be at least 10% inc and the cost of shipping all the way to the UK that make me think we are paying to much money for these bikes in China at 50k RMB on the road one good point is the parts are cheap here in China when needed!
    Last edited by prince666; 08-30-2013 at 12:35 PM.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #3 Re: Bikerdocs' 650TR (CF650-2) review 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar

4. #4 Re: Bikerdocs' 650TR (CF650-2) review 

5. #5 Re: Bikerdocs' 650TR (CF650-2) review 
    Review updated and revised.

More photos to be posted.

6. #6 Re: Bikerdocs' 650TR (CF650-2) review 
    C-Moto Regular
    Hi bikerdoc... Is the top box held on by the elastic tend straps, or are they for additional security?

7. #7 Re: Bikerdocs' 650TR (CF650-2) review 
    I have bungy's attached to all the top boxes just for added security (just in case), as the bungy being elastic is able to better absorb some of the rough riding conditions (crap roads/tank tracks) all too common here in PRC. The top box itself locks onto a base plate, and is quick release (key and press release button) to remove the top box from that plate. ADLO 2012. ADLO cases are available outside PRC, and often are rebadged as BESTEM in the USA where no mention of ADLO is found on the ADLO boxes.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 10-04-2013 at 02:49 AM.