Thanks for the detailed review. I found it very helpful, especially since I had been planning on picking one of these up. For now, I think I will pass. I will let the bugs get worked out, and wait for the next generation.

As for new adv/dp bikes coming up, I feel the same way - let the bugs get worked out, first. There seems to be a culture of Chinese manufacturers throwing their "new" bikes out too soon, in the domestic market, and having Chinese customers serve as beta testers.

IMHO, the best mid-range adv/dp bike in the domestic Chinese market is the Jialing JH600. It has been on the market for five years, and most of the quirks (e.g., the ECU) have been worked out and are now history. I gotta say that having been a beta tester for Jialing really pissed me off, and I won't risk that one again by buying another just-out-the-door Chinese release. But for just a little North of 30K for a brand new JH600, it seems to be relatively good value.

This is probably why I am shy about getting a 650TR. Interestingly, a large Beijing dealer cautioned me away from the Shineray 400cc for this very reason - he said they are not quite ready for market, and to wait at least a year. That dealer has been selling them for a while, but has now tucked them into the back of the showroom.

Your observations about the inferior components on China-market bikes (versus the export bikes) is very interesting. One barometer I use in assessing new models is how many low-mileage used ones are available. I don't know how many new Benelli 600s were sold, but there is a very large number of them in Beijing's used bike market. I realize that my "barometer" is completely unscientific, but I can't help wondering why so many people are selling them. Perhaps those lower quality components really do make a difference, from what we read/see of the bike's overseas reviews.

Definitely appreciate you taking the time & making the effort to give us this review. You saved me some coin, and probably a few headaches.