Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Planning to Buy my first bike help please 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    that is a pretty nice bike and its very very cheap, il try and find some reviews and some more information on the bike

2. #12 Re: Planning to Buy my first bike help please 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by sheebs View Post
    Hey thanks for the reply (sorry i didnt mention this before) but i have thought about a scooter but i live out of the city in a bit of a rural area where during the summer its great but during the other times roads can get a bit snowed over and my drive way to the house is a bit of a track so i dont feel a scooter would be good in those conditions. i also drive on a few back roads and a dual carriageway to get into town and i think that might be to much stress on the scooter and i wouldnt be to comfortable doing that on one and yeah your right they are ugly haha

Yamaha Zuma - Stihl Camouflage by Jason Means

This is Yamaha Zuma 125 and it would probably do the trick. There is a Chinese copy of this scooter but not sure if they are available in the UK. City where I live is filled with them. Seems like they are very trendy these days hah

3. #13 Re: Planning to Buy my first bike help please 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by modron View Post

Yamaha Zuma - Stihl Camouflage by Jason Means

This is Yamaha Zuma 125 and it would probably do the trick. There is a Chinese copy of this scooter but not sure if they are available in the UK. City where I live is filled with them. Seems like they are very trendy these days hah
    haha that looks brilliant, that would definitely be able to deal with the tracks and the rural area i live in, sadly the only yamaha deal in my area is not cool enough to sell it. from all the info i found online looks like its just sold in the US

4. #14 Re: Planning to Buy my first bike help please 
    I am on a tablet, so I can't link to it, but on the 'street' threads look up the Skyteam TRex. The last post is from a guy nicknamed 'trexuk' who is from Strood, Kent. The TRex is a 125cc fat tired enduro with a low seat height (I believe 29" sorry for lack of metric). I also believe you can buy a 50cc version in the UK. It is based on the early 1970's Suzuki Van Van 90cc. It has a unique look, so you might not like the looks of it, but since you mentioned snowy roads, I believe the fat tires will compensate for that. Like I said, look up the 4 page thread on it in the street thread.

5. #15 Re: Planning to Buy my first bike help please 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by culcune View Post
    I am on a tablet, so I can't link to it, but on the 'street' threads look up the Skyteam TRex. The last post is from a guy nicknamed 'trexuk' who is from Strood, Kent. The TRex is a 125cc fat tired enduro with a low seat height (I believe 29" sorry for lack of metric). I also believe you can buy a 50cc version in the UK. It is based on the early 1970's Suzuki Van Van 90cc. It has a unique look, so you might not like the looks of it, but since you mentioned snowy roads, I believe the fat tires will compensate for that. Like I said, look up the 4 page thread on it in the street thread.
    Hey thanks for the reply and i found the post you were talking about and you are right in saying it has a unique look (it does look nice, looks like a baby van van lol i might go as far as calling it a cute looking bike) and the tires do look great for the snow and mud and everything else anyways i had a look at the bike online to see if theres any sellers near by and i found out that its only got a 3.8 litre tank, i do a round trip of 20 miles everyday, and with that bike got a feeling im going to be spending a fair bit of time stopping and refueling. But thanks for the reply

found a video of the bike riding in the snow, seems to do a pretty good job

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cf7wKiIL9A

6. #16 Re: Planning to Buy my first bike help please 
    You should ask Trexuk what kind of mileage he gets; these bikes should get you about 3 days worth of commuting, I would think. I commute 30 miles each day on my TMEC 200 and average about 50 mpg(US). That is at speeds of 55 to 60 mph for about 7 or 8 miles. It's too bad he is so far from you because it seems like a nice bike and worth a test ride. The Skyteam VRaptor 125 (also available in 230cc, but I believe you are still on an L plate) would probably be worth a look, too. It has a 10 liter tank.

7. #17 Re: Planning to Buy my first bike help please 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    You should ask Trexuk what kind of mileage he gets; these bikes should get you about 3 days worth of commuting, I would think. I commute 30 miles each day on my TMEC 200 and average about 50 mpg(US). That is at speeds of 55 to 60 mph for about 7 or 8 miles. It's too bad he is so far from you because it seems like a nice bike and worth a test ride. The Skyteam VRaptor 125 (also available in 230cc, but I believe you are still on an L plate) would probably be worth a look, too. It has a 10 liter tank.

fair enough il drop him a message a message, does look pretty nimble and basic so if i do get it, wont be to worried about bashing it or dropping it. Yeah m going to be riding on L plates so will have to be a 125cc, is it possible to ride a bigger bike and then just have a limiter put on it. Im also thinking im going to be 21 when i go to take cbt so i could do the direct access so i was wondering if i should go for a bigger bike (but then again biger bikes does mean more money) or just keep a 125cc and get used to the roads before i upgrade

8. #18 Re: Planning to Buy my first bike help please 
    C-Moto Senior

I live in a rural area but close to town and there are several petrol stations nearby. I usually fill a jerry can and keep it in the garage to top up the Trex when needed. With it having a small tank and no fuel gauge knowing what level the fuel is at can be a bit tricky sometimes.

Minimum fuel delivery at most UK petrol stations is 2 litres, so it can be a bit touch and go with only a small tank whether you can fit in the minimum amount. To overcome this I made a fuel dipstick to give me a more accurate idea of how much was left in the tank. To do this I used a thin length of wood from a broken plate rack. I syphoned out all of the fuel from the tank. Then carefully poured .50 of a litre into a clean measuring jug then poured this back into the fuel tank. Then I put in the length of wood, then removed it and marked the wood with a line where the petrol had come up to. I repeated this process adding .50 of a litre until I had reached a full tank. Now by dipping the tank every morning I know roughly how many miles I have left in the tank.

9. #19 Re: Planning to Buy my first bike help please 
    C-Moto Senior
    2013-09-01 14.14.21.jpg

This is my T Rex as it stands now. I have made a few modifications that suit me. I removed the rack and remounted the indicators on some simple oval brackets that I made up. I also fitted a tach/hour meter so I could keep track of the engine revs. I also plan to fit some front mounted spotlights to improve visibility during the winter. I also upgraded the fitted headlamp bulb to a halogen one. I also modified the kick stand cut out switch so you can start it with the side stand down.
    Last edited by trexuk; 09-13-2013 at 09:44 AM.

10. #20 Re: Planning to Buy my first bike help please 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by trexuk View Post
    2013-09-01 14.14.21.jpg

This is my T Rex as it stands now. I have made a few modifications that suit me. I removed the rack and remounted the indicators on some simple oval brackets that I made up. I also fitted a tach/hour meter so I could keep track of the engine revs. I also plan to fit some front mounted spotlights to improve visibility during the winter. I also upgraded the fitted headlamp bulb to a halogen one. I also modified the kick stand cut out switch so you can start it with the side stand down.
    The bike does look spot on, really is a nice bike. Was looking online for a near by dealer so i could have a look at it but closest place is in warwickshire a good 350 miles away. Again biggest thing thats pushing me away from the bike is the tank size. Im sure it would do the 20 miles commute easy but id rather only fill my bike up once or twice in a week.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast