Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    No the point I was trying to make was that even though I had a motorcycle endorsement on my US license they didn't automatically give me credit for it when I went for my full license...........C is for 4 wheels.............D is for two and three wheels.

I had to write in D myself.

Temp permit is for 4 wheels......... it's the equivalent of a C endorsement on a full license. I used the Temporary permit as a stepping stone to a full license.

To get a full license you have to have a residence permit.........etc, etc.

I must not write good stories.:thumbdown:

When Wife and I passed our driver license in Shanghai two years ago we were on a business visa (6 months visa) but with a tenant agreement that stated our local address.

We have a Chinese certified translation of our French DP (cars and bikes) then went for a short medical (eyes) examination then the Q&A computerized test in English where you have to score more than 90 out of 100.

Same day we've got our Chinese DP (6 years) which is for cars and motorcycles, C1D (don't know what 1 stands for here).

To ease the process we used a local company but it is not mandatory if your Chinese and your knowledge of the kafkaian bureaucracy is good enough.

Check this post in the HUBB from Farqhuar about his current trip in China. If you are ready to live on the edge and/or got some big balls it seems fairly easy.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...810#post187950

Which is all well and good for Farquhar, sounds like quite the adventure.

Stupid as the laws are...........however don't be surprised when actions like this cause the biking restrictions to increase rather than decrease.

Unless they decide to shoot at will every 2 wheels I don't know how they can be more restrictive.

My feeling is that they promulgate laws that they can't enforce. For instance if the reason they ban bikes is because of pollution, noise or license they should better establish smog/technical/license check rather than totally forbid them.
    Last edited by Brice; 05-06-2008 at 03:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    For instance if the reason they ban bikes is because of pollution, noise or license they should better establish smog/technical/license check rather than totally forbid them.
    Easier to just ban them all.......no need to wade thru each individual motorcycle. If you ban them all you know they are all illegal. Draconian but simple.

only difference I see between the S'HAI test and the BEIJING test (that I see) is the S'HAI test is 25 selected randomnly from 100

BEIJING we have 100 questions randomly selected from 600, passing grade is 90% , and the test has to be completed in 45 minutes

I am told that 70% Fail On First Attempt (in Beijing)

Tim L in Beijing
    2005 Ducati 1000 SS and 2004 Ducati 999
    2006 Yamaha R-1
    2007 Suzuki DRZ-400 SM
    1984 BMW R80RT
    EMail: Lago888@yahoo.com _Cell # 1348-864-0048

I got my license from Jiangxi province back in 2004. I used an agent to handle the test for me. The cost was 2000 RMB and it only took a week to process the license. I had USA, Taiwan, and International licenses all with motorcycle rating. They automatically gave me the C1E after seeing all my licenses.

It may be different in the south, but I believe the license codes are:
    C1 = Regular Automobile but includes C2 (standard shift) C3 (small truck/van)
    D = 3 Wheel Vehicle
    E = 2 Wheel motorcycle

So if you want to be a legal motorcyclist, you need a C1E license (add the D yourself like Nick if you need sidecar)

Mine is 6 years, good until 2010. I hope they finally honor international licenses by the time I need to renew :wink:

Stupid as the laws are...........however don't be surprised when actions like this cause the biking restrictions to increase rather than decrease.
    Very well said Nick

Cheers
    ChinaV

8. #8 NO licence ...so what? 
    I've been riding for 6 years in China with no licence. I don't care, I have a European licence and passed my test in Australia over 10 years ago.

Fine for not having a licence is very small.

Maybe if I was in a place the cops checked motorcycle licences ever, I would possibly get one.

Where do you live/ride in China?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com