Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Kunming to Budapest trip 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hello. I'm planning to fly into China with my wife, buy a bike around Kunming (used?, as we won't have a residence status), and drive it across the border into Kyrgyzstan, then back home to Hungary. We will go through the CIS countries, to avoid the need for a carnet.

I have a few questions that maybe someone could help with.

Will it be a problem at the border that the bike is not registered in our name? Will a letter from the registered owner be enough?

I won't have a Chinese license, but I'm prepared to run the risk.

Are there likely to be any more difficulties with paperwork?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a bike? I think a dual-sport/trail bike, 150cc+. Perhaps one that we could find parts for outside of China. We would like to spend less than $1000 USD on the bike.

Many Thanks

David

2. #2 Re: Kunming to Budapest trip 
    Quote Originally Posted by davidzweig View Post
    Hello. I'm planning to fly into China with my wife, buy a bike around Kunming (used?, as we won't have a residence status), and drive it across the border into Kyrgyzstan, then back home to Hungary. We will go through the CIS countries, to avoid the need for a carnet.

I have a few questions that maybe someone could help with.

Will it be a problem at the border that the bike is not registered in our name? Will a letter from the registered owner be enough?

I won't have a Chinese license, but I'm prepared to run the risk.

Are there likely to be any more difficulties with paperwork?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a bike? I think a dual-sport/trail bike, 150cc+. Perhaps one that we could find parts for outside of China. We would like to spend less than $1000 USD on the bike.

Many Thanks

David
    Hi David

I am about to do a trip on a bike that is in my wife name !!! So I have got a letter from her to say It ok for me to take the bike out of china ! Should be Abel to give you more of a update when I get to the border in about 4 weeks time !Make sure you have a legal bike and you have
    the blue and green books for the bike ! Then I think You should be ok , but I am sure you will need insurance for each county you visit , now my choice for the bike is based on a good friend on MCM and he advise me to get the yamaha YBR G It's only a 125 cc but is not bad on power but if your total kg is over about 150Kg maybe not, but what I can say about the bike for the last 6 weeks I have put nearly 8000 km on a new one using it on road and of road And it has not missed a beat, all the tyres are dual-sport nobs but the back Tyre you will only get about 5000 km out of the tyre , front looks good with 8K on And should get about 12 K , the back is a bit of a odd ball size 90-90 -18 But the front is more common with a 3.00-18 with this bike you get Over 600 km from a full tank and only cost 100 Rmb (£10) to fill it up The bike cost me new with the plate and taxes,insurance 12,000 Rmb (£1200) So you should be Abel to find a SH in about the money you wish to spend .Try and keep to a Japanese bike but made in china because all other you will Have problems

I hope my post helps you well good luck

image.jpg

Attachment 15257

image.jpg
    Last edited by prince666; 05-02-2014 at 04:15 PM.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #3 Re: Kunming to Budapest trip 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks for the info. We'll probably be about 150kg (75 + 55 + 20kg luggage). The bike looks like a good choice, and looks good, does it have fuel injection, out of interest? Insurance I think should be easy in the CIS countries, and cheap.

4. #4 Re: Kunming to Budapest trip 
    Thanks for the info. We'll probably be about 150kg (75 + 55 + 20kg luggage). The bike looks like a good choice, and looks good, does it have fuel injection, out of interest? Insurance I think should be easy in the CIS countries, and cheap.
    No fuel injection if you try and keep under 2000 Meters you should be ok with out re-jetting above this you will find a lack of power at this time you just loss the wife on the back ! Been running my bike at over 1000 meters here in Hainan and runs ok, and 150 kg should be ok Yamaha recommend 190 Kg max or find a slimmer girlfriend hehe

image.jpg
    Last edited by prince666; 05-03-2014 at 07:26 AM.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

5. #5 Re: Kunming to Budapest trip 
    Similar bike (made by Jianshe) : http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?&id=19474777693

6. #6 Re: Kunming to Budapest trip 
    Quote Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
    Similar bike (made by Jianshe) : http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?&id=19474777693
    Yes Jianshe is Yamaha partner in china but with the Jianshe bike some of the parts will be of lower
    Standard and for re- sale the yamaha will sell quicker and much easy

7. #7 Re: Kunming to Budapest trip 
    I'm in Kunming at the time i write this, and it is my third visit here and I think it is a very bad place to buy a moto because the selection is very limited.. im driving my 180cc scooter around and it looks more like a scooter than motorcycle..which in turn keeps the cops away because they dont like motos in their city...
    i have yet to find the motorcycle market here.

Mile is a town ouside of kunming 130 kilometers south. many choices...

but if someone knows of a place to buy in kunming let me know.

if you can strech your money a bit you can buy a honda or yamaha scooter that has fuel injection and you wont have any problems with the elevation in certain areas.... my scooter is FI so it did well driving from Guilin to kunming.

8. #8 Re: Kunming to Budapest trip 
    Quote Originally Posted by kikikillercat View Post
    I'm in Kunming at the time i write this, and it is my third visit here and I think it is a very bad place to buy a moto because the selection is very limited.. im driving my 180cc scooter around and it looks more like a scooter than motorcycle..which in turn keeps the cops away because they dont like motos in their city...
    i have yet to find the motorcycle market here.

Mile is a town ouside of kunming 130 kilometers south. many choices...

but if someone knows of a place to buy in kunming let me know.

if you can strech your money a bit you can buy a honda or yamaha scooter that has fuel injection and you wont have any problems with the elevation in certain areas.... my scooter is FI so it did well driving from Guilin to kunming.

With your best intensions you have to recommend a scooter for this trip IMO
    I can't see this choice being the best bike to use sorry to say

9. #9 Re: Kunming to Budapest trip 
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    With your best intensions you have to recommend a scooter for this trip IMO
    I can't see this choice being the best bike to use sorry to say

your right! scooter for the trip would not be good for such a distance..just making a point about FI and how expensive it is to get a motorcylce with FI and how cheap it is with a scooter...crazy though i know many chinese who drive from Guilin to Tibet and back on Honda scooters and the like.... scooter do alright on dirt but cant go anywhere on wet dirt/mud.

10. #10 Re: Kunming to Budapest trip 
    Quote Originally Posted by kikikillercat View Post
    your right! scooter for the trip would not be good for such a distance..just making a point about FI and how expensive it is to get a motorcylce with FI and how cheap it is with a scooter...crazy though i know many chinese who drive from Guilin to Tibet and back on Honda scooters and the like.... scooter do alright on dirt but cant go anywhere on wet dirt/mud.

I do have a scooter as well a 250 cc CF Jexlux and has severed me very well over the last 2 years , but with 2 people on this
    ride and he will hit Road works dirt and loads of mud IMO a scooter will have a hard time with Such conditions , but as a scooter owner as well I do understand what you Are saying about scooters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast