Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Cfmoto 650 Nk New Owner 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    11193379_10204976170698182_7419772284495703489_n.jpg
    here it is, ready for a weekend travel :)

2. #12 Re: Cfmoto 650 Nk New Owner 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    ^Nice. I like the blue colour - very photogenic IMO. Seems you have a nice set of soft luggage there. Is your NK an ABS model (can't tell from the photo)? Any plans to change the rear muffler?

On a side note FWIW, I was in the local KTMR2R & CFMoto shop last evening (Ningbo), having a cursory browse at different bikes. On the KTM side of the shop, there were a number of Duke 200 & 390's, one Duke 690 (plated ) and a Duke 1190. I noticed that several of the Duke 390's and the Duke 690 had fitted Laser mufflers. IMO the addition of the mufflers looked to be an aesthetic improvement over the little muffler. On the CFMoto side of the shop, there were upwards of a dozen 150NK ABS models, one 650NK ABS, and a couple of other 125 models. No 650TR in store, but a few 650TR ABS models are expected shortly. I did like the 'look' of the NK, seemingly subtle design improvements over the older model - but each to his/her own.
    Look forward to seeing some photos of your weekend 'rides'
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 04-26-2015 at 01:22 AM.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

3. #13 Re: Cfmoto 650 Nk New Owner 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Would love a rear muffler change and eliminate the catalytic, could you point me to a good muffler not so expensive that fits the cf? im in chile so i would need intl shipping , thanks ;)

4. #14 Re: Cfmoto 650 Nk New Owner 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    It doesnt have abs, on fact i had no idea that it was an abs version

5. #15 Re: Cfmoto 650 Nk New Owner 
    Quote Originally Posted by martislash View Post
    Would love a rear muffler change and eliminate the catalytic, could you point me to a good muffler not so expensive that fits the cf? im in chile so i would need intl shipping , thanks ;)
    Laser were manufacturing here in the mainland, actually they were within 10km of my location here, however they moved round Dec '13 from XiaPu, to somewhere near Beijing. Irrespective if they are still manufacturing then their local labour costs should reflect a somewhat lower retail price compared to some other after market manufacturers. Does Laser have a presence in Chile? Even if not, then do you know anyone from Chile who is in China or travelling back and forth between the two countries..? There are other brands e.g. IXIL - which are fairly common here (I have a hexagonal design IXIL on my 650TR), and some would say there are 'better' brands too.

Here are a couple of mufflers for the 650NK/TR sold on Taobao.

IXIL alloy finish
    IXIL black finish
    IXIL twin silver pipe

You can find some threads detailing some of the NK & TR's where owners have swapped over the muffler, myself included. Use the links provided to you on page 1.
    - Pablo Picasso

6. #16 Re: Cfmoto 650 Nk New Owner 
    Quote Originally Posted by martislash View Post
    It doesnt have abs, on fact i had no idea that it was an abs version
    Yes, ABS (Conti) fitted on the late 2014 manufactured 650NKs, 150NKs and 650TRs... I suspect you have an older model...
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 04-25-2015 at 03:49 AM.
    - Pablo Picasso

7. #17 Re: Cfmoto 650 Nk New Owner 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/FMF-Blue-Tit...2fe59e&vxp=mtr

Foe example would that work on the bike? adapting the mounts of course

8. #18 Re: Cfmoto 650 Nk New Owner 
    Search for a Kawasaki ER-6F after-market muffler... since the Kawasaki and CF650's seemingly share much of the same or similar 'design parameters'
    The big catalytic converter underslung the main frame, needs to be removed... so the fitting of any after-market muffler isn't exactly a slip on as it takes a bit of labour to get the catalytic converter dismounted and the after-market muffler on...
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 04-24-2015 at 05:53 AM.
    - Pablo Picasso

9. #19 Re: Cfmoto 650 Nk New Owner 
    Marislash using any muffler from a Chinese website is IMO not a good idea. You'll likely lose power almost certainly lose torque and ruin the fuel economy. The bike will sound louder and be more aggressive but the performance 'upgrade' is purely psychological. However an ER6 muffler might work on a 650NK, but you can't be sure as the bikes have different electronics and engines. Also removing the cat is illegal in most countries as well as environmentally irresponsible, also it is not a slip-on job, so you need to go to quite extensive money or time consuming work to reverse this modification every time you take the bike for government inspection.

If you want to go quicker a trying to modify a CFMOTO 650NK is not a great idea, it's kind of fine as being a middleweight cheaper kind of bike, really you're lucky if it stays reliable and glitch-free. Screwing around with the fueling, air or electronics plus all mods are very second rate and not well understood or proven and IMO not advisable. If you want more power it's better to begin with a bike like a CBR600, GSXR600 or something as all the aftermarket exhausts and power commander mods are well known and understood, and the bikes have a higher level of manufacture quality to build from.

Anything you do or anyone else does is up to you, this is just my opinion.
    Last edited by ZMC888; 04-26-2015 at 03:08 AM.

10. #20 Re: Cfmoto 650 Nk New Owner 
    As ZMC888 advises beware cheap no name mufflers, especially no name mufflers from Ch!na.

However, lots of motorcycles the world over have, have fitted after market mufflers seemingly without negative consequences.

I've a Akrapovic on my Super Tenere (S10) 1200Z and it runs fine, passed safety inspections without issue and like many other S10's the fitting of a branded after-market muffler works wonders based on the posts on a number of ADV and S10 specific forums anecdotally suggest.

I've a IXIL hex shaped muffler on my 650TR and it runs fine, passed the local safety inspection late last year, including the exhaust outlet gas emission test analysis - which fell below the EU-III maximum levels.

A friend has a Yoshi muffler on his 2006 TMax scoot, and it has runs fine without issue, and the scoot has passed several safety inspections.

Buy a quality after market muffler, here are just a few brands:
    Akrapovic
    Two Brothers
    IXIL

If after-market mufflers were an issue for emissions then the companies wouldn't be in business. Some manufacturers even offer after-market muffler brands as an upgrade option at point of sale through dealers e.g. Suzuki, BMW, Kawasaki et al.

You could buy a Power Commander and visit a tuner with a dyno, but many motorcycle owners don't.

Do a search on you.tube, and you should be able to find a few 650NK videos showing muffler mods.
    - Pablo Picasso

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast