Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #3 Re: STORM will travel the world in 80 days with an electric motorcycle! 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    G'Day STORM Eindhoven
    Welcome to MCM!
    You could pencil in Ningbo NETD Zone (30km east of Ningbo city on the coast) for plugin and get-together. I'm a little more than interested in the eBike you're planning on embarking on the journey aboard, especially given you're expecting to get a range of some 300km. That would be fantastic provided the 300km is achievable over a wide variation of conditions and parameters... e.g. hills, mountains, heat/cold, speed etc.
    I've had a few 48v electric scooters previously (10years ago) but found the range to be a major limitation in being able to step away from ICE motorcycles/scooters etc. I've recently bought a larger eScoot (see here) and even with a larger but still conservative 3000watt hub motor and 144volts (12 x 12v) lead acid batteries, I am getting a reliable 100-110km range provided I use the low power mode (3 power modes), limit WOT use (throttle) thereby limiting speed to <50km or thereabouts, and limiting the number of inclines I ride - which for me is not ideal as I prefer the mountain routes/roads here. I'd hazard a guess that I could increase the range 10-15% or possible more if I removed all incline/ascents from my chosen ride routes. I know full well that if I were to replace the current batteries with LiFePO4's I'd likely increase range about 30-50% but the cost to do so doesn't seem to be an appealing ROI. Consequently I'm 'all ears' on how you're able to achieve that 300km range.

Oh, and one more thing...

thread_Useless.jpg
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 09-11-2015 at 02:09 AM.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso