On the continuing review of the Colove 500x I’ve hit a bit of a snag. As previously mentioned an electrical issue began in June. Initially it was a matter of the dash resetting itself when the starter was engaged. It went from rare too much of the time in a matter of a couple of weeks. While on the trip to Lijiang the battery failed to start the bike on a couple occasions. After discussions with the factory I replaced the battery. This solved the issued for about 2 weeks. The dash reset issue returned on July 20th, 16 days after replacing the battery. As it happened the Colove factory manager following up on my chats with him during the trip requested I bring the bike to the factory for a ‘free service’ the day before. Given the electrical issue I decided to do that. While the bike was in the factory the steering head and bearings were replaced. I had already replaced the fronts with imported bearings and the rear looked in good condition. The manager let it slip that there was a known bearing issue with early production models, which may or may not have included mine.
As to the now bigger electrical issue they reportedly tested the system and found nothing. They charged the battery and recommended that “I ride at limited speeds as the system does not charge the battery at high speeds.” I called BS on that claim which was met with extended discussions between the manager and the mechanic resulting ‘in a ride the bike and let us know if the issue returns’ response. At this point I’m left with two impressions. 1. The alternator on the bike is inadequate for the fuel pump, electronic ignition, etc. which I believe could result in the bike discharging the batter at higher RPM. Given the speeds I’m limited to in China the alternator would have to be wowfully inadequate. Option 2 is the alternator is failing and will leave me stranded at the most inopportune time. Other options might be parasitic drain on the battery, bad regulator…? At this point I feel like I’m left on my own to figure this out as I’ve yet to meet a Chinese mechanic who seems that competent. If the factory cannot even give this an elementary evaluation what’s left? So I’ve ordered an multimeter and begun educating myself on motorcycle electrics. If I’m missing something or someone has any ideas please let me know.
On other side news I did learn a few things while at the Summit, New Everest, Colove, Kaiyuan… factory. New 500 cc scrambler coming soon. I’ll try to post other information in another thread soon.