Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 Re: Slabbing to Moganshan (and back) 
    what a ride, jkp. The police vest works like a military licence plate and deceits security. How fast were you over-taking 4-wheels at highway?

2. #2 Re: Slabbing to Moganshan (and back) 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Thanks, TD Ref!

As you can see in the pix, we were almost alone on the expressway, with not too many other vehicles to deal with. On Day 1, there were quite a few trucks and cars (as well as bursts of heavy rain) in our first hour on the expressway, so of course there was the big speed differential between cars and trucks and the resulting dangers when overtaking. And we had plenty of assh*les in luxury cars passing on the right in the emergency lane. This is China. Once we cleared Shanghai the traffic thinned out dramatically and we ran a consistent 110-120 kph with no one really to overtake.

Slab is what it is: A good way to get somewhere fast, but not a huge thrill in and of itself.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: Slabbing to Moganshan (and back) 
    Nothing wrong with a bit (or a lot) of tarmac when you are going to somewhere good, saves some energy and wear and tear so you can enjoy the off road! Keep these reports coming, I truly enjoy the pics of normal life. On the one hand the essential similarity in human endeavours worldwide and on the other, the cultural differences and quirks, both make enjoyable viewing.

The quicker the rest of the world catches up like this to so-called western progress the better. Gives these new countries real weight in the world as the arrogance of the old powers has to be measured and curtailed.

It us strange being outside China, looking in, we still hear the odd off-hand news report of a few thousand people homeless or even killed in floods and earthquakes, then it goes quiet unless the price of commodities into China moves by 0 point 005 percent and the wankers in stock exchanges in USA get into a tizz and wet their pussy knickers.

Get that lad a rack and panniers, and into some black motorcycle trousers - the jeans and plastic bag look defeats the 'polizia' cool. So good to hear and see that you have simple fun in ways that take the piss in a friendly way, not many people can do that without being insulting and inappropriate. I used to cruise round Europe with 'Intelligence' credentials I made myself, I never got seriously called on them and often got free phone calls, assistance and even a meal or somewhere to stay! As long as you had enough experience to know a couple of protocols and jargon, the nature of the game was such that it supported the ruse.

Good luck, keep having fun and sharing it!

4. #4 Re: Slabbing to Moganshan (and back) 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Thank you, Jape. Glad to be able to give a glimpse of China as it finds its way in the world.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)