Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Had an accident

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
  1. #81 Re: Had an accident 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by CantDecide View Post
    I'm going to make it my personal mission to get everyone trying to get on a subway car to wait while everyone trying to get off has a chance.
    Your mission, should you really choose to accept it, will take probably 96,000 years if you can persuade just 37 people a day to do that. Yes, I ran the numbers!

That said, I exercise that mission myself, in my own way. When entering a subway car, I'm the prick who blocks people behind me from crowding in while everyone gets off. Oooh, that steams folks. When exiting, I've been known to use an elbow a bit like a snow plow to clear a path for myself and those behind me. Ooh that steams folks too, and folks behind me don't even realize the windfall they've enjoyed.

But, apart from giving me a useless and probably longevity-reducing adrenaline spike, in the grand scheme of things it accomplishes precisely nothing. Just confirms in people's minds that foreigners are arrogant pricks.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #82 Re: Had an accident 
    My plan is to just shout loudly "First off, then on!" in chinese... Louder than the attendants who sometimes stand by the trains with loadspeakers saying that...

The problem with my plan is I can't seem to remember the phrase long enough to repeat it.
    --
    Biking Newbie | Boston: Ninja 250 | Beijing: Citify E-Scooter | No Chinese License. :(
    My Novice Experiences in China | My Photography

3. #83 Re: Had an accident 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Your mission, should you really choose to accept it, will take probably 96,000 years if you can persuade just 37 people a day to do that. Yes, I ran the numbers!

That said, I exercise that mission myself, in my own way. When entering a subway car, I'm the prick who blocks people behind me from crowding in while everyone gets off. Oooh, that steams folks. When exiting, I've been known to use an elbow a bit like a snow plow to clear a path for myself and those behind me. Ooh that steams folks too, and folks behind me don't even realize the windfall they've enjoyed.

But, apart from giving me a useless and probably longevity-reducing adrenaline spike, in the grand scheme of things it accomplishes precisely nothing. Just confirms in people's minds that foreigners are arrogant pricks.
    I do more or less the same, but in China's public transport it's "Push, or get pushed!" So call me an arrogant foreigner because I probably push harder than they do. Some here will say accept their behaviour, your a guest in their country! For example, I am sure their behaviour and attitude is big part of the whole traffic problem.

One of their habits I really hate and isn't very functional either is getting off busses/(subway)trains/elevators/escalators and then stop, preventing other people from being able to get off! Where is the harmony then Jape? This is what I like to call their "I'm the only person in China" behaviour!

Same with places with pedestrians, they never stop on the side to do what ever they need to do always in the middle (that might explain "middle country"). One time about 2 years ago I walked on the sidewalk at Chang an jie and saw a woman standing in the middle of the sidewalk (about 2 car lanes wide) and her son of (probably) at least 8 years old next to her, was taking a on a newspaper (how civilized)! About 100 meters further is a shopping mall with toilets! Ok maybe he really couldn't hold it anymore but then still "WHY IN THE F***ING MIDDLE?"

4. #84 Re: Had an accident 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CantDecide View Post
    The problem with my plan is I can't seem to remember the phrase long enough to repeat it.
    Just keep repeating "This is so shabby, shabby, shabby, shabby!!!"

No, I'm just joking ... do NOT say that. A very bad idea.

Good luck with your quest.

By the way, your photography is spectacular! Sigh.

5. #85 Re: Had an accident 
    'They' do this, 'they' do that, 'they' dislike foreigners. Just reflect it backwards folks.

'They' can do what they like. That isn't romanticism it is common-sense. China V's pic is funny and apposite but also shows that 'they' have to, will do, wish to, may or may not learn to regulate 'themselves'. Some of you will become part of 'they' sooner or later. But it is your kids will make the changes not your anger or exasperation or my conciliation and coffee-table philosophies so get rootin'.

I used to shoot at 'them'. Some of 'them' shot back. I didn't dislike them, it was funny.

If it is indeed a cultural or racial characteristic that 'they' stop in the middle of your/everyone's path all the time Barry, the harmony is in that 'they' feel free to do it and all do it or so you suggest. You do it, why not, then you will be 'they'. I've tripped over plenty of gawking foreign fuckwits, mostly with fat bellies, fatter arses and a bunch of cameras taking up the road all round the world, all races, all colours and breeds. Seen a few taking a dump too, with or without newspaper and toilets nearby.

I'm taking a week off soon! So be good and enjoy the break from me.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

6. #86 Re: Had an accident 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    When entering a subway car, I'm the prick who blocks people behind me from crowding in while everyone gets off. Oooh, that steams folks.
    /Gandalf voice

"You shall not pass!"

/Gandalf voice

When I'm alone I rely on my boots and elbows with the best of them. However, my GF has an innate talent to get on and find us both seats so I let her be the sneaky one while I pretend to be polite and let people push on in front of me. Does wonders for preventing adrenaline from becoming the ruling factor in my rush hour commute.

7. #87 Re: Had an accident 
    When I'm alone I rely on my boots and elbows with the best of them. However, my GF has an innate talent to get on and find us both seats so I let her be the sneaky one while I pretend to be polite and let people push on in front of me. Does wonders for preventing adrenaline from becoming the ruling factor in my rush hour commute.
    Since being in China, my rush-hour commute consists of: Bedroom->Bathroom->Couch. Sometimes with a stop to the kitchen. Luckily I have skype and email with my co-workers, or I would never get my daily dose of adrenaline. :)
    --
    Biking Newbie | Boston: Ninja 250 | Beijing: Citify E-Scooter | No Chinese License. :(
    My Novice Experiences in China | My Photography

8. #88 Re: Had an accident 
    China is the way it is. But China also has its own laws. When the law is broken the person who breaks the law gets a broken arm that costs $6000 Australian dollars in compensation from someone that was not at fault, but in reality the broken arm should only cost $45 to fix, that is unfair whether you are Chinese, black, white or green.

Enjoy your holiday, Jape.

Arrogant expat out!

9. #89 Re: Had an accident 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Signed the settlement yesterday. The official police report sais we share the responsibility 50/50. The Chinese people around me were all advising me to settle as soon as possible. Also, the operation is dangerous so I also thought it's best to get out while I can, if for some reason there are complications after the surgery. My approach to the situation was not to do anything on my own, to consult as much people as possible before I do anything. The collective desicion of all was: settle ASAP. So that's what I did. The whole thing cost me 40k rmb + 168 rmb to get the bike back from impound... Could have been worse.

10. #90 Re: Had an accident 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by slabo View Post
    The whole thing cost me 40k rmb
    Did insurance cover any of this, or is it all out of pocket?
    Beijing: 2008 125cc Qingqi

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast