Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
  1. #111 Re: Soberpete's YBR 250 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Damn, Pete, this ranks right up there with Dewsnap's unintended acceleration up his student's front steps!

Awesome adventure, and extreme kudos for the candid telling -- unless there's anything you're leaving out!

Wonder if you'd have had the same outcome with a spoked wheel.

Very glad you both came out unscathed, lessons learnt, and now are back on the bike.

We'll have to call you SobererPete!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #112 Re: Soberpete's YBR 250 
    That sucks, it hurts me to see any member's bike incident. Since mine, I've been paranoid.
    Everyone please ride defensive and calm.

3. #113 Re: Soberpete's YBR 250 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Damn, Pete, this ranks right up there with Dewsnap's unintended acceleration up his student's front steps!
    Poor Dewsnap. I wouldn't say that I rank up there with him but perhaps my bike does. It suffered a month of not being ridden, kinda like Dewsnap, barely being able to move around whereas I got off fairly unscathed... putting me in a similar position to Dewsnap's Raptor. I missed my bike so much during the time I wasn't able to ride it. His Raptor must have missed him too.

Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Wonder if you'd have had the same outcome with a spoked wheel.
    There was in fact one occasion, while sight-seeing in Xi an, that I did have a similar outcome with a spoked wheel:
    I was riding a rusty, old rent'a-bike along the inner-city wall. There were lots of ramps that went up and down the numerous sets of steps as I traversed the top of the wall. Most people pushed their bikes up and down these but I wanted to be hard-core (another mistake) and so I rode up and down each of them as fast as I could. Most ramps would be set in-line (the ramp up one side would be directly opposite the one on the other side) and so I took this for granted. I was about half-way around the wall when I discovered, at a fair speed, that one of the 'down ramps' was not opposite the up-ramp . I literally realised there was no ramp at the last second and so I just held on for a rough decent.
    No time for breaks!
    I went flying down the steps at maybe 15kph, bouncing off each of the huge steps and screaming like a little girl at the same time. I reached the bottom of the steps still upright but with a badly battered front wheel. It had about 25% of the spokes left in-tact and would barely go straight. Silly Pete .
    Riding along the inner-city wall of Xi an was amazing and, although a bit expensive, well worth it. It would have been even better had I not performed that little stunt leaving me to push the thing the rest of the way back in blazing summer heat.

4. #114 Re: Soberpete's YBR 250 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Robeta View Post
    ...bought a wuyang honda instead...
    I would definitely have made the same choice as you. That's a lovely looking Honda! Perhaps you might consider a little Decepticon logo somewhere subtle?

5. #115 Re: Soberpete's YBR 250 
    C-Moto Guru
    Good luck on your new wheel , as long as everything still works fine , then fine for you, take care of your speed as there are a lot of crazy drivers out there who think nothing less than turning into your path without looking and your speed of 120 or more there will be nt a chance in hell of stopping in time, even on the so called quiet roads, there is always an idiot that will pull out in front of you without hesitation, i am not lecturing you i took my ZS up to 95klms and on a dual sport high in the riding pos feels weird, and that was on a seemingly quiet road until a truck came charging out of the side road without stopping at the junction or looking luckily for me it was 2 or 3 hundred meters away, or i would have been toast.
    I know exactly what you mean and thanks for your consideration. I've had a few close calls of my own and I think that, by now, I've learned to expect the unexpected (besides a visit from the Spanish inquisition). Shoulder checks have also served me very well in recent days.
    I have seen enough on the streets of Zibo and from the nasty crash videos on this site to prepare me for the 'inconsiderate' drivers and riders out there who pose a danger to themselves and everyone else around them:
    If I see a car that displays even a hint of slowing down then I assume that it's going to make an immediate U-turn. If there is an opening on the side of the road, I expect any cars ahead to swing into it without indicating or for something else to fly out of it without looking. Whenever I see a taxi, I expect it swerve to the outside of the road or to do a crazy U-turn at a high speed to pick-up a customer.
    My belief while riding on the road: "It's not so bad to break a traffic law or two, as long as it doesn't affect others."
    What I mean to say is that do my utmost to never ever get in the way of anyone else. I run red lights but only if I can see clearly that there is nothing else coming. I keep an eye out for myself and for everyone else... like a fighter pilot (quoted from wanglong in Slabo's thread 'Had an accident'). I have made mistakes that inconvenience people and I felt very bad about it each time. Learn, ride and then keep on learning. I love nothing more than to ride my motorbike. I like to ride fast but never if that means skipping safety. I hope to become a better rider as each day goes by.

6. #116 YBR 250 needed URGENT!!! 
    C-Moto Regular
    hi there, seems that someone else is appreciating the ybr. did around 10000km on each of my 6 tour bikes. NO (well one bike leaked a little oil from the very beginning) problems so far!

something different. i a 90+ percent sure the bike is not china made. sure it comes out of brazil like all the other ybr 250's all over the world. why would yamaha produce the bike in china and not have a single bike at their factory for example. last year all i got was 6 bikes at. anyway here we go :::
    need another 5 ybr 250cc ASAP. waited to long (and trusted promises) so here's my cry for help!
    ANYONE OUT THERE who happens to know a yamaha dealer with (preferably 5pcs or more) ybr's an hand???? THANKS!!!!
    heiri

7. #117 YBR 250 going TIBET 
    C-Moto Regular
    the YBR 250 in tibet! awsome scenery in guge kingdom some 200km from mt. kailash and lake manasarovar!YBR250CC@GugeKingdom.jpg5120mWayToGugeKingdom.jpg

8. #118 Re: YBR 250 going TIBET 
    great pictures of the land, post some of your bike too, so we can see your ride.

9. #119 Re: Soberpete's YBR 250 
    Wow, that 150cc Wuyang is a beauty, wish there was a bigger engine in that frame.

10. #120 Re: YBR 250 needed URGENT!!! 
    Quote Originally Posted by heiri View Post
    i a 90+ percent sure the bike is not china made. sure it comes out of brazil like all the other ybr 250's all over the world. why would yamaha produce the bike in china and not have a single bike at their factory for example.
    I'm certain the YBR250 is made by Jianshe Yamaha in China. But it is also made in Brazil.

Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast