Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Purchased in Haiti- Lifan 200 GY-5A 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Deom2i-

Honestly, I have done really anything special. Im trying to take is easy for the first 1000K, then ill change the oil and probably have a mechanic give it a check up. Should I be doing something different?

Kohl

2. #12 Re: Purchased in Haiti- Lifan 200 GY-5A 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    It seems im experiencing a little loss in performance overall. When I give it gas in 2nd or 3rd gear it gives a slight hesitation. Also, It is taking a little more effort to get started in the mornings (Its not cold here either). I feel like it could be a carb adjustment that is needed although they are supposedly set up at the factory before they are shipped.

This is my first NEW bike, and my first chinese bike. Is this normal? Do these bikes seem to need a little extra attention after the first 500 KM? Should I have been doing something special to break it in?

Kohl

3. #13 Re: Purchased in Haiti- Lifan 200 GY-5A 
    when carbs are set in the factory they are normally way too lean for it to perform at its best

Kennon

4. #14 Re: Purchased in Haiti- Lifan 200 GY-5A 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Kennon-

Makes sense, thats what it feels like. I looked for an air/fuel mixture screw today on the carb, but no such luck. I've yet to find a good mechanic here that I would trust to take apart my carb.

Kohl

5. #15 Re: Purchased in Haiti- Lifan 200 GY-5A 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Chinese motorcycles in Haiti!

I have been in Haiti as a volunteer for about 10 months now. I bought a 125cc Haojin about 2 years ago and have been driving it ever since.
    There are a few things I wanted to share with you about my experience in Haiti with repairing Chinese motorcycles.
    The first step is to find a good mechanic. I have used a few in the past, but I have settled on 2 that I like the best. One of them is in Petionville, he is a bit more expensive and does not speak english. It is located at the Haojin dealer in Petionville, Haiti.

The other one recently opened a shop on Route De Freres #300, called 'Manuel Moto Parts'. He was originally my Taxi driver, and opened a shop. The mechanic's name is Eddie, and his partner is Manuel (speaks English, French, Creole & Spanish). This mechanic is really really good. He knows exactly how to fix something and will not mess around with you when repairing the motorcycle. He also does not overcharge you for not being Haitian.
    You can reach Manuel at 3797-1636 (not fluent in English, but he will understand you if you talk slowly).
    If you want help finding him, you can give me a ring 4436-7343 (Chad Adams). I will direct you to his place.

With all of that said. What it sounds like is that you have bad gas. The gas tank seal is not the best on all of the Chinese motorcycles, and when it rains, water will sometimes get into the gas tank. There is a piece which you have to remove on the left hand side of the bike, below the fuel shut-off. This piece separates the water from the gasoline when it gets into the tank. This is a very common problem in Haiti, and I have had to have my gas tank cleaned out about 5 times in the past year. It does not cost too much to do it, maybe 100 Gds or less.

Let me know if you need my help on this, I would be more than happy to do it. I have dealt with just about every problem on the Chinese motorcycle that you can imagine. Everything from a bad head gasket to crazy electrical problems.

I hope this helps!

Chad Adams

6. #16 Re: Purchased in Haiti- Lifan 200 GY-5A 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Chad,

Hey, Nice to meet a fellow chinese-moto-enthusiast-in-haiti. What brought you to Haiti?

Since I posted this, I have figured out the problem. After doing some more research, I found out that indeed these bikes are set lean from the factory. I adjusted the clip on the needle down one notch, and it now starts up much better. Not perfect, but MUCH better.

I also had suspected water in my gas tank especially because 3 times now, after leaving it out in a long rain, it doesn't want to start at all. Normally I put a tarp on it at night for this reason. But occasionally, Ive even driven in a very heavy rain and one time it actually stopped while I was driving it. Luckily I was pulling into a parking lot at the time...

I found a mechanic that came well recommended by an american friend of mine whos been living here for a few years, but he wasn't able to figure out my problem. His solution was to put a Honda carb on it. He used to work on Hondas for NGO's. The next time I will absolutely give your guys a call. My Creole is decent enough for these types of things.

Anyways, problem or not, we should grab a beer sometime.

kthrel@gmail.com

7. #17 Re: Purchased in Haiti- Lifan 200 GY-5A 
    Cut the tube's (under the carb) end to "/ " shape is the "chinese" solution to intermediate ??? in rainfalls
    http://translate.google.com/translat...26sid%3DY0npJu
    Last edited by humanbeing; 05-03-2012 at 02:45 AM.

8. #18 Re: Purchased in Haiti- Lifan 200 GY-5A 
    C-Moto Noob
    The problem is not in the overflow hose. The problem is with the gas cap on top having a bad seal. I replaced mine 2 days ago and after a wash, it had water around the filler hole. From what I understood, it needs to be broken in. Maybe the rubber needs to wear a bit, I am not really sure.

When this water gets into the gas tank, things will get a lot worse if the problem is not handled quickly. The gas tank is made of 'chinese steel' which means that it rusts quickly. There is an attached filter to the gas nipple which goes inside the tank. This plastic filter will get clogged full of rust and end up stopping the flow of gas into the carb. Depending on the amount of water that is in the gas tank, the best bet is to just drain all of the gasoline out of the tank and replace it with fresh. These bikes require a lot of maintenance to keep running well. But the maintenance is extremely cheap in Haiti.

I think the Chinese carb is just a copy of the Honda one. The problem with changing the carb is that most Haitians do not know the difference. They have very unusual solutions to fixing problems on their motorcycle. It is almost better in all aspects to use cheap Chinese parts while in Haiti. If Eddie @ Manuel's Moto Parts cannot fix it, I know someone else who can figure out the problem and fix it, he just costs a bit more - at the Haojin Dealer in Petionville.

Haojin Dealer
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=18.515...num=1&t=m&z=18

Manuel's Moto Parts
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=18.525...num=1&t=m&z=19

The green arrows mark the spots.
    Last edited by Interstate; 05-03-2012 at 02:28 AM. Reason: added more info

9. #19 Re: Purchased in Haiti- Lifan 200 GY-5A 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hello Haiti riders!

I just purchased a Haojin 150-11B and want to know as much about it as possible. Roads are rough here in Leogane, and the 11B was more of a dual sport.

Is there any advice you can give me? What do I need to know about my bike and Haojins? Will it hold up in the rough and tumble of Haiti?

How are the tires? I'm taking the thing on some pretty rough roads here soon, will the crummy tires hold up for a few months or will eh need replaced immediately? Inner tube?

Sould I adjust the carb? Any must have add-ons or take-offs?

I'm a manager at a small NGO here and am going on a 17 day trip with the sucker in a month.

Also, I need one other bike. I can by another 11B, but I wanted to know if there were better bikes in the same price range ($1000)

10. #20 Re: Purchased in Haiti- Lifan 200 GY-5A 
    You may already know it's powered by bigger bros of CG125 (Different bore / SAME stroke) which ARE bulletproof . Service manual are easy to find in "net".
    The carb is 26 or 27? Adjust carb IS depends the spark plug condition.
    Tires -Which is the stock brand? Taiwanese brand are OKish

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast