Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6162425262728 ... LastLast
  1. #251 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Halt View Post
    I've been seriously considering BJ 600 VS 650 NK for my daily commuting (and I mean daily, whatever the weather/season).
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolast View Post
    Daily commuting in Shanghai is not suitable for "big bikes" if you are in city center.
    Nicolast, don't listen to Steve_Halt, he's a masochist.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

2. #252 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    Aha, I am. I've almost bought that 350cc Regal Raptor bike for my commute. Good thing is, my wife has more reason than I do :)

3. #253 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    Sudarnya Stevehaltovskaya, God bless you!!!
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

4. #254 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    I had a chance to try a BJ600 for about 50 kms through some twisty mountain roads. The bike had just over 4,000 kms on it.

Caveat - I am definitely NOT a sport bike rider. I have never liked the riding position. I don't like their whining sound. Nor do I see the point in 0 -> warp speed in 3 seconds (F me, that is bloody terrifying!!!!!). And "pucks" are intended to be slap-shot into goals, not stuck on my knees. Hence, I am a prejudiced "evaluator."

Nevertheless, the bike was a lot of fun. You can be very aggressive in and out of corners (stock tires on it), without any apparent concern of the bike doing something silly. It has a nice power band, but tends to be in the higher revs. Not much low end torque, but that is unsurprising.

It runs very smooth and quiet. Braking was excellent. Suspension was good, although it seemed to dive a little bit from a softer-than-expected front end. The bike also seemed to be surprisingly agile, allowing quick little adjustments in turns. Easy to lift the front wheel, even at speed.

The bike's owner is very hard on bikes, but the BJ600 seemed to be staying together. I can't really comment on build quality because I know so little about sport bikes, and therefore can't really compare it to Japanese or Italian thoroughbreds. Comparing it to other bikes I know (which is a little unfair since they are a different genre), the BJ600 seems fine.

Overall, if I was into sport bikes (I'm not), I'd consider this as a viable option inside China. It was a lot of fun, and certainly got the heart pumping.

Another riding buddy, who is an experienced sport bike racer, has been considering one of these. I trust his judgement in the sport bike arena.

PS: Ever notice when you're having a meal with a sport-bike rider, they can't sit still?

5. #255 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    Thanks for the reviews guys, finally some real info coming in about this bike!

I too finally had the chance to try one of these a couple of days ago. Here it is beside my Molly:

The bike i tried had 5000km and belonged to a chinese guy who looked like he didn't give it much love. It was dirty and had signs of crashing. He recommended waiting a couple of years for the little niggles to be worked out of the bike.

I had a 15min ride on some big straight roads. It's fast. Nothing below 5000rpm but a lovely bit of power up in the revs and a really nice kick from 10000 right up to the rev limiter. I got it up to 180 before almost hitting a truck head on.

It was really nice to look at while i sat on the side of the road trying to get my adrenaline levels back to normal. Seriously pretty bike.

There were almost no corners where i tried it, but i took it round a big roundabout a couple of times and had fun going deep into it. Nice and stable on the stock Metzlers.

I have no problem with the seat and riding position, i'm 1.80m. Sitting into the front i was nice and upright, jamming my buns back into the hump i could lie down the tank.

Fun as it was, it didn't feel very well rounded. That may be because it's from the first production batch. The rear shock was leaking, the rear plate bracket was falling off. The brakes were VERY grabby, at low speed it felt like the wheel was going to just lock up. At idle speed the engine sounded like a fishing boat.

In summation: very impressed but think i'd rather wait another year.

6. #256 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    The GS is controlled by two ECUs from Delphi (MT05). Delphi classifies them as a low cost solution for 1 and 2 cylinder engines. Seems to be a smart selection
    http://delphi.com/manufacturers/other/powertrain/mt05/

7. #257 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
    The GS is controlled by two ECUs from Delphi (MT05). Delphi classifies them as a low cost solution for 1 and 2 cylinder engines. Seems to be a smart selection
    http://delphi.com/manufacturers/other/powertrain/mt05/
    So that makes it not be a 4-cyl engine, but 2 separate parallel twins working in sync. Awesome.
    Put in 2 low-cost ECUs and hope they work as one. Now that's what I call engineering.

8. #258 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Halt View Post
    So that makes it not be a 4-cyl engine, but 2 separate parallel twins working in sync. Awesome.
    Put in 2 low-cost ECUs and hope they work as one. Now that's what I call engineering.
    Two parallel twins--nice
    Maybe the ECU controls each cylinder independently, w/o considering sensor data of other cylinder(s)? If so it would not matter how many ECUs are installed.
    The GS is equipped with four oxygen sensors, one for each cylinder; but (in the past?) other 4-cyl engines are sometimes equipped with just one oxygen sensor. Maybe be an indication...(?)

9. #259 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
    Two parallel twins--nice
    Maybe the ECU controls each cylinder independently, w/o considering sensor data of other cylinder(s)? If so it would not matter how many ECUs are installed.
    The GS is equipped with four oxygen sensors, one for each cylinder; but (in the past?) other 4-cyl engines are sometimes equipped with just one oxygen sensor. Maybe be an indication...(?)
    Could be, but then I don't see the need for 2 ECUs if one can control all the 4 cylinders. And that'd be more sensible because they'd work off one ignition scheme, not two.
    4 oxygen sensors mean that there's input from all 4 cylinders' readings in the ECU. Cylinder by cylinder. Most likely one ECU processes 2 cylinders' readings and another ECU processes other two cylinders. Which increases the chance of failure, BTW.
    Now just need to kick back and see how those engines hold up.

10. #260 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Ahem, guys, why are we back talking about this bike in the rumors thread? I, for one, would propose putting this once-useful thread to bed now that we have actual members out riding the actual bike on actual roads in actual China...

cheers!

jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6162425262728 ... LastLast