Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanghaifingers View Post
    Thats always been a problem here in Shanghai, at least for the last few years. We can provide legal plates to use the CJ. But as you know NO motorcycles are allowed in Shanghai, not even the local two wheelers.
    But the no new CJ plates/Registrations in Shanghai is now Nationwide......no province can provide new plates. The annual inspection will be a problem if all your previously plated bikes have registrations from Hebei or Xinjang or some other far flung province............ and the days of foreigners riding around Shanghai with impunity on bikes with dodgy plates or questionably inspected bikes are numbered.......friend of mine just had his supposedly legal Triumph with Xinjang plates confiscated and it was parked at the time !

They'll crack down on the bikes soon no doubt as they did with the licenses especially with the 2010 Expo coming. All it will take is one foreigner getting into a bad accident on his questionably registered Chang and the authorities will crack down hard they just look for the excuse.

As far as the bikes go I think the no new registrations for Changs is to help with the new Jialing bikes..........Jialing is State owned I guess and the State will benefit with an increase in sales and the State benefits less with all the cottage industry quazi 'new' Changs that are being flogged on Taobao.

Much like the architecture......old is out and demolished, shiny new is in and promoted favorably, happened in the motorcycle industry vs auto industry also. Favorable policies and attitudes for cars while the bikes are condemned to the countryside.

The Shanghai bike ban is not total, not yet anyway....... just banned from some of the roads........and on a plus note luckily the CJ isn't classed as a motorcycle. I've Shanghai A plates on my bike and can and do ride anywhere except for the toll roads.......I've never been stopped in 5 years.
    Last edited by Nick in PRC.; 02-12-2009 at 09:46 AM.

I have always thought my riding days in Shanghai are numbered....

Does the Ban also include DONG HAI's?

Winston

OH Nick do me a favor please send me the location or link of the new law(in other words were i can read it) I want to be able to properly inform my customers.

By the way we just recieved new plates for new bikes(restored) in our shop today

OH Nick do me a favor please send me the location or link of the new law(in other words were i can read it)
    I was told by people in Nanchang that this was now new policy. As far as Dong Hais I wouldn't have thought those were registrable in years........but TIC and a nod is as good as a wink to a blind man.

By the way we just recieved new plates for new bikes(restored) in our shop today
    What province ?...........and what's the date the blue books were issued ? I'd be very happy if what I heard wasn't true but my source is pretty reliable or has been in the past.

Hey Nick, come on by the shop when you have time. I can give you the "grand" tour and give the low down.... Also I would like to bounce some CJ related stuff off you. The beer will be on the shop...of course

Hey Nick, come on by the shop when you have time.
    I actually stopped by Saturday but you weren't there.

I must have just missed you... I came to the shop in the early afternoon. The translator May did not offer to call me? I only live 5 minutes from the shop!

Next weekend perhapse, any idea on the weather???

Winston