Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. #21 Re: Hello from Urumqi, Xinjiang 
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorge View Post
    No, I'm just noticed that you are not first language teacher here.
    interested to know what a first language teacher is? Would that be Mandarin ?

2. #22 Re: Hello from Urumqi, Xinjiang 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorge View Post
    Hello Constantine!G uys, who, among you, currently living in China, is not a language teacher?
    Not I. Take my profession from the MCM pseudonym, and biker, while a passion is not to be confused with my profession - so not all here are teachers... not that I pass any judgement on those that are...

3. #23 Re: Hello from Urumqi, Xinjiang 
    Bigdamo, you seem to be quite familiar in Shihezi... Did you live here? Do I know you? And that dude I talked about who really knows his stuff sounds exactly like the dude you're describing... He has a pretty good reputation around Xinjiang and I think he was also involved in the Taklimakan Rally... He often has a couple of BMW's in his shop which is exactly at the location you described... Small world....

4. #24 Re: Hello from Urumqi, Xinjiang 
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunafish View Post
    Bigdamo, you seem to be quite familiar in Shihezi... Did you live here? Do I know you? And that dude I talked about who really knows his stuff sounds exactly like the dude you're describing... He has a pretty good reputation around Xinjiang and I think he was also involved in the Taklimakan Rally... He often has a couple of BMW's in his shop which is exactly at the location you described... Small world....
    Am I familiar in Shihezi I guess it depends who you ask.

Yes I lived in Shihezi still have an unit/apartment there well my wife does. Umm I do not know anyone called Tunafish from Shihezi or any where else for that matter but maybe your English name starts with P.

Tunafish is right you will need to be legal look what happened to that young foreign teacher who had an accident in Shihezi a couple of years ago who was not legal.

I thought Urumqi was about 180 klm from Shihezi.

Be interested to see how your American friend goes getting his license in Shihezi. It was difficult for me to get one because the powers that be don't want foreigners (espically teachers) riding motorcycles there. Maybe things have changed.

Nocturno I know people who go to certain towns in Xin jjiang to get there exotic foreign MC registered but Shihezi ain't one of those towns.Might be worth trying to get your license in one of those towns but I can't remember which town possibly the next town up from Shihezi.

5. #25 Re: Hello from Urumqi, Xinjiang 
    Yes you would be right, my name begins with a P... Nope, it's just 150km... Two Americans in fact will have gotten their drivers licence here this summer. I asked them to write a clear manual on how to go about getting a drivers licence for new foreigners in the future... Now that the locals have experience with foreigners going for a licence it should be easier for other foreigners in the future... Bigdamo, next time you ride to Shihezi, let me know, wouldn't mind hanging out...

6. #26 Re: Hello from Urumqi, Xinjiang 
    C-Moto Noob
    Wow guys! That's really a load of usefull information here! A friend of mine told me yestaerday that it should not be a problem getting a driver's license here in Urumqi. I will go far that first. meanwhile, a trip to Shihezi in the near future should be in order I think to check out the conditions there and scout for some bikes. I will also go to the bike shops here in the city and try get some information from the store owners. The Galaxy XTR 250 or any bike like it seems hust fine for me to start with. Btw: Did I get it right that the retailers can help with getting a registration? Can they hel with insurance too?

7. #27 Re: Hello from Urumqi, Xinjiang 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocturno View Post
    Wow guys! That's really a load of usefull information here! A friend of mine told me yestaerday that it should not be a problem getting a driver's license here in Urumqi. I will go far that first. meanwhile, a trip to Shihezi in the near future should be in order I think to check out the conditions there and scout for some bikes. I will also go to the bike shops here in the city and try get some information from the store owners. The Galaxy XTR 250 or any bike like it seems hust fine for me to start with. Btw: Did I get it right that the retailers can help with getting a registration? Can they hel with insurance too?
    Is your friend a motorcyclist? Yes, it's probably "no problem" for an expat to get a C1 driver's license in Urumqi, but does your friend know that you need a C1E or C1D to ride a motorbike? Some dry cities flat refuse to issue motorbike licenses to anyone, expat or Chinese, and some wet towns refuse them to expats on the grounds that expats should not be riding in China.

So be sure when you apply for the driver's license that you explicitly specify that you want a C1E (car and two-wheel bike) or C1D (car, bike and sidecar), not just a C1. Often they will say, uh-huh, uh-huh, right, and then give you a C1, which is useless for riding. Get it right the first time, or you'll have heaps of trouble getting it changed in future, as we learned from a member in Shandong who got bait-and-switched. If downtown Urumqi refuses to give you a C1E, try in suburban districts where bikes are not banned.

Dealers can be good for helping with registration, as long as you are certain they are doing it right and not gouging you on price. I'd be more wary if they offered to help you with the license, unless it's just to accompany you to the right place and help with the paperwork and process. If they offer to get you a license, it's probably dodgy.

good luck!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

8. #28 Re: Hello from Urumqi, Xinjiang 
    That is one thing to consider, motorcycles are banned in Urumqi, so hopefully you live at the very edge of the city... By the way, my motorcycle drivers licence says class "D"... It is just for motorcycles, not for cars, and I think it's the one you would aim for...

9. #29 Re: Hello from Urumqi, Xinjiang 
    C-Moto Noob
    That's the one I would aim for indeed. If it's not possible here in Urumqi Changji might be another option. Maybe I'll get one for car and bike too, since I already have a European car driver's license. We'll see. Does anyone have an idea of what the license costs if you have to do it from scratch? I mean, in general.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123