Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 24 of 44 FirstFirst ... 414222324252634 ... LastLast
  1. #231 Steve's CFMoto 650 NK(春风 650 NK)Electrical Problem 
    OK, the first real problem with the bike. First of all, it has always somehow been so that I had electrical problems with the vehicles I owned.
    That includes 3 cars and over 30 bikes plus a plethora of scooters and an e-bike. Always.
    So this time it is CFMoto and its left handlebar switch. Well, the funny thing is that it's not all of the switch that's bust - it's just the blinkers. Everything else (horn, high/low beam, emergency lights) works just fine.
    So I got the new handlebar switch assembly from the official CFMoto shop on taobao (TMall to be exact) and took it to the shop to be replaced. Well, to replace that, you need to tear half the bike apart (side panels, seat, tank, speedo assembly). That's not exactly maintenance-friendly. Anyways, once the switch was replaced, ... the result was the same: everything works, blinkers don't.
    Right.
    So we check the fuses - all good. We disassemble the old switch itself - short circuiting the power to the blinker micro-weld gives the blinking lights (both left and right). We peel off the protective coat off of the wires and go down the whole wire length - turns out the blinkers' power wire was snapped halfway down from the switch.
    Then we disassemble the second switch, test it - it gives the same result. We check the wires - blinkers' power wire in the new switch assembly is snapped in approximately the same place.
    WTF is that, may I ask?
    Now, it's either that it's a factory problem, and all the left handlebar switch assemblies are screwed right off of the production line, or the switch I got from CFMoto's OFFICIAL store was used before, was snapped, was cleaned, packed, and sent to me "as new".
    Either way, it just doesn't feel right.
    Well, the problem has been solved, the blinkers blink alright. If any of the CFMoto owners here has the same problem - don't hurry to replace the switch, most likely you won't need to.

2. #232 Re: Steve's CFMoto 650 NK(春风 650 NK) 
    Thanks or the heads-up, if I have the same problem I'll know to get the soldering iron out and save on not buying a new switch .

Seems you've been pretty lucky, my bike made me walk and push it 10kms before it even had 500kms on the clock. OK so it was only a throttle position sensor, but the bike took ages to get parts for and walking your brand new 35,000 yuan bike to the only competent mechanic in a 30 kms radius is a feeling that I wouldn't wish on anyone, not even my POS Regal Raptor made me walk. Also sober pete and I have had many other issues, such as non-cancellable EFI warning lights on start-uo, random 5 minute fuel injector failure. Crap plastics, bolts, threads and nuts and tiny water leaks. Non thread-locked bolts and non-greased parts, rusty fuel tank and glacial parts ordering on warranty, somehow managing to turn wannabe fanboys into guys that have peeled the manufacturers stickers off their bikes in irritation.

Nonetheless the bike has performed flawlessly on rides of hundreds of kilometers giving Japanese bike-esque performance and economy. Just don't forget to bring 500 yuan in case you need to have the bike transported on the back of a truck back home.

So why the niggles?

Well, it seems it's like the Chinese culture effect. The old granny rummaging the tub of rice or or hooking out the best cuts of meat in the supermarket for her smelly peasant family. CFMOTO's order of importance:

1. Export 650 TR
    2. Export 650 NK
    3. Domestic 650 TR
    4. Domestic 650 NK
    5. Domestic after-sales service and parts.

3. #233 Re: Steve's CFMoto 650 NK(春风 650 NK) 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi all

New on here but had my NK for 6 months now and very pleased with it, although I too am from Oz and have a restricted version.

I have read this thread from the start and found some good info, I have been researching the mods for lifting the restriction as mine is the ECU while some have been restricted with a small block screwed into the throttle. I have to 48mm cone filters and 135 degree elbow hoses coming to free up the airbox and currently sourcing a direct slip-on replacement for the muffler. I have also found a Two Brothers power commander for the er6n/ninja that should help with the ECU mapping.

If anyone has any other advice I'd love to hear it

Thanks

Tonka

4. #234 Re: Steve's CFMoto 650 NK(春风 650 NK) 
    Tonka, I read in the CFMOTO parts guide that the 650NK has three throttle bodies, one with a hole, one without and an Australian LAMS one. Make sure you switch out that with an ECU upgrade or likely you'll be spending money and not gaining any power benefit.

5. #235 Re: Steve's CFMoto 650 NK(春风 650 NK) 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Tonka, I read in the CFMOTO parts guide that the 650NK has three throttle bodies, one with a hole, one without and an Australian LAMS one. Make sure you switch out that with an ECU upgrade or likely you'll be spending money and not gaining any power benefit.
    The info my local dealer has is that they issued Australia with either a LAMS restricted throttle body or a restricted ECU, the throttle body being easy to alter while the ECU needs a replacement or piggyback controller

6. #236 Re: Steve's CFMoto 650 NK(春风 650 NK) 
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonka View Post
    The info my local dealer has is that they issued Australia with either a LAMS restricted throttle body or a restricted ECU, the throttle body being easy to alter while the ECU needs a replacement or piggyback controller
    surely it would be both? Putting too much fuel into a throttle body being too small couldn't work as would an ECU not giving enough fuel making the bike too lean.

7. #237 Re: Steve's CFMoto 650 NK(春风 650 NK) 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    surely it would be both? Putting too much fuel into a throttle body being too small couldn't work as would an ECU not giving enough fuel making the bike too lean.
    The restricted throttle body has a bolt holding a small lug in place to limit the throttle being opened fully, not allowing full rev range

CFM650NK Throttle Body.jpg

8. #238 Re: Steve's CFMoto 650 NK(春风 650 NK) 
    That throttle body looks fully open to me, those lugs don't have much to do with it from what I've seen from having a look at the other two throttle bodies.

I think the aperture size is smaller, the other throttle bodies had the same outer dimensions but different inner dimensions. The inner aperture looks about 30% smaller than what I've seen on the others, kind of like the inner sides run straight and there is no ring around the inside. I also think the ECU is setup differently to match.

However I'm going from memory and I'm not an engineer or a mechanic and I could be wrong, also the only way you can prove these things definitively is with a dyno and/or a properly trained unbiased engineer.

9. #239 Re: Steve's CFMoto 650 NK(春风 650 NK) 
    Hey all,
    I've done a poor job staying active on the 650NK forums, my apologies.
    I posted pictures last fall of several mods I made, including exhaust, levers, bars and frame sliders, but never posted links to them on taobao.
    well, here are a few of the links. Also to recap a bit:

Akropovic mid pipe and exhaust can
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=16186691391
    the pipe I received was slightly different in shape (also logo was sticker, not a stamped plate), but I've gotten pretty used to that on taobao. pipe works great. removing the center restrictor can (stock) gave the bike a much louder, deeper tone, but also shifted the power band higher. a loss of low-end torque, but gains higher in the rpm range. I'm very happy with it.

Levers
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=18274147574
    Levers have been great. brake lever fit was a little tight, but work well.

Handlebars
    I forgot that I bought these locally, not on TB. japanese brand, very low bend. others have mentioend the need for spacers, and yes they are very very close to the tank. but i prefer the lower position, I feel more stretched (which i like).

I also bought sliders. many choices in TB, all are basically the same unit.

here are some pics I posted on another thread last fall.
    Attached Images

10. #240 Re: Steve's CFMoto 650 NK(春风 650 NK) 
    ZMC888 asked me earlier about my mileage, i'm at ~2800km. no mechanical issues at all. i had a false alarm with an ignition coil, ended up being a loose plug :)

Page 24 of 44 FirstFirst ... 414222324252634 ... LastLast