Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 Re: In the Market for a Scooter 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Continuing on...
    A local certified CFMoto mechanic who had a CFMoto CF150T-VIP Fashion - heavily modified, bought a new Jetlux when they were first released. About a half-a-dozen guys in his riding circle, many of whom had Jetmax's also bought Jetlux's at that time. AFAIK, neither the Jetmax's nor Jetlux's had any significant problems. Both models share the engine and tranny. There's lots of styling to like on the Jetlux IMO, but somethings are more form over function. The front fairing (tupperware) profile on the Jetlux is narrower and less protecting from the elements than the Jetmax's. The Jetlux screen sits too low and one is exposed to a face full of air, which with major air quality issues in a majority of built up areas and cities here is a major issue IMO. The local mechanic friend, fabricated up a frame that shifted/raised the screen ~5cm on his Jetlux - and it was obvious. The Jetlux two part seat desgn is nice in concept but the storage layout underneath is a bit funky - not clean or as deep as it is on the Jetmax. Stowing bigger items takes some creative ninja origami skills! The split seat rear hinge means that one has to be creative in fabricating a rear luggage rack. Mechanic friend made one, but it was an obvious addition and more function over form. The Jetlux has smaller 13' wheels which provide a less than stellar ride on anything less than smooth surfaces and is in contrast to the Jetmax's 15" front and 14' rear rim sizes.

I had a CF250T-VIP Fashion export model which was 30% premium over the domestic market model. I liked it aside from the smaller 13" wheels and the top end limited to 110km/h on a good day, though it would sit on a 100km/h indicated without issue. But the storage, comfortable seat (rider and pillion) with the rear trunk and top box real estate - plenty of space for carrying 'stuff'' added to that was the 4 speaker & stereo and I can understand those that luv the ride. It's a Honda Helix clone, which has a cult like following all over the world. Butt (male butt!) ugly style wise, but a great scoot despite this. I sold mine to make way for the Jetmax. Now if I could roll the two (Jetmax and Fashion) into one... it'd be a winner. I'd say consider a 250cc Fashion, despite the smaller wheel size (which means one doesn't ride/sit as high in the traffic), 'cause the ride is really comfy, and with the addition of the CFMoto top box - provides the pillion a really nice pillion riding triangle. The riders triangle is also nice.

As I see it both the Jetmax and Jetlux which share the same power train, have been round long enough now, for most of the kinks and bumps to be worked through, so should be worthy contenders. Both offer something the other doesn't. I prefer the Jetmax over the Jetlux, though I like the overall styling cues of the Jetlux more. From an entirely form over function perspective the Jetlux ticks those boxes, but for function over form, then I give the nod to the Jetmax. Pulling all of the strengths from both scoots- CFMoto would be onto a winner. The Jetlux is only for the local domestic market too AFAIK.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 08-14-2014 at 12:07 AM.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso