Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Triumph / China

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 Re: Triumph / China 
    Quote Originally Posted by SabineHartmann
    Suzhou, minimum 10 HD a month. But we learned, they, the buyers, hardley ride their bikes
    Yes the bikes as toys to be seen on once a month in the summer. Also 6000 kms or more is seen as an 'insane' annual mileage making your bike very hard to sell if it ever clocks up any real mileage. Essentially they are an alternative to a second or third car, and can be conveniently kept in a small garage with enough space for other family junk. Three of my neighbors have unregistered big bikes in their lock-up garages. They almost never ride them, hardly ever out of the city unless there are at least five other riders to hold their hand. They ask me if my bike is broken every time I check my tire pressure, oil or water.

Motorcycle sales figures for bigger bikes in China will depend largely on the amount of 'face' someone can gain by owning one.

2. #2 Re: Triumph / China 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Yes the bikes as toys to be seen on once a month in the summer. Also 6000 kms or more is seen as an 'insane' annual mileage making your bike very hard to sell if it ever clocks up any real mileage. Essentially they are an alternative to a second or third car, and can be conveniently kept in a small garage with enough space for other family junk. Three of my neighbors have unregistered big bikes in their lock-up garages. They almost never ride them, hardly ever out of the city unless there are at least five other riders to hold their hand. They ask me if my bike is broken every time I check my tire pressure, oil or water.

Motorcycle sales figures for bigger bikes in China will depend largely on the amount of 'face' someone can gain by owning one.
    I'd see them as the male answer to a Louis Vuitton bag: a fashion accessory, nothing more, nothing less.

euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: Triumph / China 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    I'd see them as the male answer to a Louis Vuitton bag: a fashion accessory, nothing more, nothing less.

euphonius
    Fell off my chair... ROFL...

4. #4 Re: Triumph / China 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post

euphonius
    I never felt a real need to carry a Louis Vuitton bag around,,, I expect thats what happens when you ride a Jialling,,hehe

5. #5 Re: Triumph / China 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Haha. You know, given that LV bags are note even made of leather, but of some plastic-coated canvas, they'd probably make decent tool bags. Alas, not the most affordable.

As for Jialing riders, I've never seen anyone among us even carrying a manbag! You know something I don't?

euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #6 Re: Triumph / China 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    -''Not sure what makes Triumphs "iconic" any more; the story does not say which models they'll be rolling out in India.''

well, the same thing that has always made them iconic , they've always, been just a little off and out of the mainstream,
    and always provided either a performance (and as in the case of your 74' Daytona - lack thereof) or styling that sets them apart. check out the website and have an objective look - from a design standpoint - they are unique and consider maybe of the performance models they are also making statements. Triumph has had a brilliant run at marketing this , the market claim they staked (the iconic image they've created) - they've been able to maintain for a great many years.

but to ask that question - i think you also need to ask - what makes ANY motorcycle iconic ? what makes MVAugusta it is an icon, or even HD ? and have they all really maintained that public perception ?
    interesting question. it's something that seems to lack more and more , or is it that we simply see it less in China ?

7. #7 Re: Triumph / China 
    Marketing, sell a lifestile idea

8. #8 Re: Triumph / China 
    Quote Originally Posted by SabineHartmann View Post
    Marketing, sell a lifestile idea
    Motorcycles are part of the lifestyle idea from the moment they were not solely used for transportation, and that is a bloody long time ago in the Western world.
    The brands who refused to jump that train vanished one after an other.