Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 What bike + some other questions from a newbie... 
    Hello MCM,

First of all, I am pretty new here, I have been surfing around for a couple of weeks/months on this site now, but I'm not sure if this post is in the right section. so please, correct me if I posted wrongly...

My case: I am a belgian, currently living in Australia. In a couple of months I would like to travel to China (on a tourist visa), buy a bike somewhere in Xinjiang (new or 2nd hand), and drive it to Kazakhstan, intending to take it home to Belgium.

First question:

Is it possible to buy a bike (registered in someone elses name perhaps) and take it over the border with Kazakhstan?

second question:

I like cruiser models, but what model would I have to take? There are so many brands and models on b2b sites like alibaba.com that I really have no clue what is reliable and what not... Are there any chinese brands that are more reliable, but still cheap compared to European prices? Preferrably I would like a 250cc model.

3rd question:

Does anybody know if I could possibly get a carnet de passage from the German Adac for Chinese bikes?

I know this is a lot of questions in one post, I feel quite stupid posting them all at once, but I read a lot of different stories on the internet and this site seems to be populated with people that know what they speak about :-)

Many thanks for reading this post,
    Hans
    Last edited by hanzywanzy; 04-17-2010 at 06:41 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes :-)