Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. #41 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    ^LJH, I can relate to what you are saying about foreigners feeling some form or "misguided" sense of entitlement. Ironically most of us foreigners complain about the double standards, yet sometimes we're not just victims of it, but the perpetrators too.

I ride often and sometimes do so faster than the masses. When I chose to ride faster than the majority of the flow of traffic or the masses as it were, I do so for a multitude of reasons; whether it be to avoid being coated by diesel fumes, dirt, dust off the truck/bus (insert your vehicle of choice here) ahead, or else other road related debris (spray from vehicles when its wet/raining), or else to avoid some other potential road hazard seen ahead or predicted well in advance. I ride and drive using the 11 second rule as well as the oval bubble. Advanced driving techniques taught while in the fire and ambulance services in NZ, techniques developed from the London Police.

When I am riding/driving faster than the average it generally isn't by much (just enough to stay ahead), and the chosen speed is condition appropriate 99% of the time. I also try where possible to be courteous without being subservient. Where there are traffic lights I will stop, and even on the occasions where I ride through a red (usually at night or out in the semi rural areas/small towns etc plus keep in mind I don't live in a major city), I slow down to a crawl first or make a complete stop to make sure the way is clear. Most of the time I do stop at red traffic signals (especially in cities, or during the day) and am passed by other riders who don't and some don't even slow down!

When I know I am travelling faster than the speed posted, I take all necessary steps to avoid triggering speed or red light cameras so that I don't become another motorcycle speeding statistic which might be the penultimate deciding factor the regulators use to decide it is time to start enforcing speed and red light infringements on motorcycles.

I exercise my right to use my brain in a logically linear fashion not just for my own sake but with other riders and road users in mind. Not something so easy to do all the time here in PRC (TIC).

Oh and one last thing, I always use the horn as a warning device (upgraded to loud on all my vehicles in PRC), all the time... sorry if YMMV but it has saved my arse countless times. I swear by this method... use the horn when passing, attempting to pass, approaching intersections especially uncontrolled ones, when approaching side roads/lanes, whenever I pass ebikes, scooters, cyclists, basically any other road user, and especially on twisty mountain or rural roads even they may appear to be deserted.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 09-08-2012 at 10:19 PM.

2. #42 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    I ride often and sometimes do so faster than the masses ... the oval bubble.
    Totally agree! People who have ridden with me comment "Sh1t, I thought you were supposed to be Mr Safety Instructor! You ride so damn fast, sometimes!" Yeah, well, I want to stay away from those man-eating sharks (aka cars, buses, trucks). I'm always looking for a spot where nobody is around me. In China, where the average driver doesn't care a rat's-ass about road-sharing, or is too busy texting on their mobile, I don't want to be a little bug. And, you are also right on about the horns. I wish I could figure out how to put one of those truck air horns on my bikes.

mosquito helmet.jpg

3. #43 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    back in crackdown mode.
    HOG Shanghai board has / had a thread about a crack down on all type of bikes in Shanghai area till 31st.October, better to be fully legal.....

Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    I often see unplated R9s, with an unhelmeted foreigner riding like crazy. Pisses me off, too. Those morons are F'ing it up for the rest of us ... but I am sure they think they are the coolest, most bad-ass rider ever.
    Quite a common sight with teenagers around the international schools in Minhang / Qingpu districts (Shanghai). friggin' w@nkers......

4. #44 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    Here's the BTV report (motorcycle part starts at about 4:00 in)

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDQ0NjkzNjA0.html

(sorry, for some reason I can't get it to embed)

5. #45 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 

6. #46 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    HB ... my hero! Thanks

7. #47 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    Banned
    Beijing Strike Hard Motorbike Campaign: http://www.bjjtgl.gov.cn/publish/por.../info40673.htm
    http://translate.google.com

Traffic police stopped and confiscated a lot of bikes and scooters at the big intersection near The Den (Sanlintun Beijing) last night.
    Attached Images

8. #48 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    This is a more serious "campaign" than I have seen before. However, it is apparently only for a month.

9. #49 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    my sources, warned me last week that traffic police all over China are have a motorcycle/scooter targeted enforcement leading up to and continuing through the whole month of October. That meant it already started and won't end til October 31st.

10. #50 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    Confirmation that the same thing is going on in xi'an right now; 60 day campaign to rid the streets of basically anything on 2 wheels. I've even seen ebikes being confiscated...

There must be some serious 'tension' in view of this shift of government that's happening soon for the people to need a big distraction like this.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast