Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1. #31 Re: New newbie in Shanghai 
    Cool.

Let me know.

I paid for everything last week end, waiting for em to get the paperwork done, the bike arrived a week earlier, they called me so I was there when they took it out of the box.

It's a nice moment.

I took pics of engine and chassis serial numbers. Just in case.

I'll follow up too, especially after I get controlled by the 1st cop...

Later on.

2. #32 Re: New newbie in Shanghai 
    a yellow plate is a must for motorcycle / sidercar riding in shanghai. as well as your driving license D (sidecar) or E (motorcycle), and the insurance card (about 300rmb/year for motorcycle and 550 for sidecar).
    a yellow A plate is perfect, but the yellow C (as my CBF150) is not bad at all. I can ride everywhere in Pudong 100% legally, and pass once a week to the central town without any trouble since 3 years as it's 80% legally (the rest 20% cost just 200rmb each time penalty for the intrusion of local prohibitive zone).

3. #33 Re: New newbie in Shanghai 
    any motorcycle without a shanghai yellow plate will be driven out soon.
    so take care of the safty of your 沪A or 沪C, which may be stolen by others in the comming months.
    沪A cost 44000rmb, and the 沪C about 7000rmb. all those 2 yellow plates are private ones and can be trade easily.

4. #34 Re: New newbie in Shanghai 
    Quote Originally Posted by nostalgie View Post
    any motorcycle without a shanghai yellow plate will be driven out soon.
    so take care of the safty of your 沪A or 沪C, which may be stolen by others in the comming months.
    沪A cost 44000rmb, and the 沪C about 7000rmb. all those 2 yellow plates are private ones and can be trade easily.
    Hey Daniel, could you please explain what do you mean by that ? Did you hear a rumor about new policies / regulations ?
    Also, in case of theft, because you have the papers to prove you are the owner of the plates, it's not lost completely ("only" the bike is). At least this is what I understand...

5. #35 Re: New newbie in Shanghai 
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Hey Daniel, could you please explain what do you mean by that ? Did you hear a rumor about new policies / regulations ?
    Also, in case of theft, because you have the papers to prove you are the owner of the plates, it's not lost completely ("only" the bike is). At least this is what I understand...
    I have similar question. There are lots of Shanghai blue plates aroud, with the blue 沪A highly valued as it allows you to go just anywhere in Shanghai.
    As far as the bike stolen issue, you do get the license back but only after a wait of 6 months to a year (not sure exactly, but it is a rather long wait).

6. #36 Re: New newbie in Shanghai 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I think what Daniel is referring to is similar situation that has occurred in SH previously on occasions. Thieves scope out and target license plates, since they cost so much to begin with, consequently they have a rather high inherent value (way overinflated price for tin plate). Usually the gangs involved target car plates, but bike plates especially the prized 沪A plate also appear on their radar. What the thieves rely on is that the hassle that takes place once the plate(s) are stolen is incredibly complex, and both costly in time and money. They often will steal the plates and leave some kind of calling card, so the victim can make the call to start the process of retrieving the stolen plates - for a price. The price to "buy" back the stolen plates is negotiable, though highly illegal but the police either don't have the resources, or it's a low priority or they're just not interested. The thieves rely on this, and so profit from the whole diabolical situation. Naturally while the plates are the primary targets, that may not preclude the thieves from taking a whole bike, if they have the necessary means. So always be aware of your surroundings all of the time, since there is plenty of crime that surrounds us here, though for what it's worth, foreigners tend not be the direct victims of it, though it does occur.

Those thieves will sometimes target out of town plates too just to make a bit of cash. Any special significant plate with highly sort after or regarded numbers also make nice soft targets. I know first-hand of one case where the victim simply resigned themselves to having to deal with the thieves request after the police were anything less than sympathetic or interested. Even the victim had the contact number for the "handler" with whom the victim negotiated the plates buy back price, the police just weren't interested in following it up at all. At the end of the day it was far easier and less costly to buy the stolen plates back. TIC!!!

While one can simply not deal with the thieves to get the plate back, then dealing with the traffic police and associated departments will result in the original plate being cancelled and a completely new plate with new alphanumeric combination made. It takes time, is a hassle, and it costs, and if you've got that all important special series of numbers on the original plate... forget it.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 11-03-2010 at 02:27 AM.

7. #37 Re: New newbie in Shanghai 
    Wow what a terrifying thought. That may be the last nail in the coffin for me, i don't need any more convincing that's it's not worth spending such a ridiculous amount of money for the privilege of riding in one the least enjoyable places to ride in china. I think when considering the money and risk involved in a yellow 沪A plate (and let's not forget it's only 'money in the bank' if the system doesn't change), other options like a beefed up ebike just seem better. I'll keep my motorbikes in the underground car park and use them to get out of shanghai for weekend rides. If a 200RMB fine is the worst outcome of that scenario it actually seems like a pretty sweet deal.

8. #38 Re: New newbie in Shanghai 
    it's clear to explain this complicated situation:

1. no more motor-taxi will be permitted, reasons omitted...

2. motor-taxis usually without a shanghai yellow plate, neither the assurance.

3. motor-taxis looking for a shanghai yellow plate to continue their life without being noticed.

4. they might stolen or clone your 沪A/沪C, as it's seems new and 100% legal. (no need the papers, they can get a real copy just from your plate/chassis/engine numbers. And this is why on the photos of local Harley/BMW forum, owners often cover their plate number.)

5. they may have accident, even crime one day. there are cameras keeping watching on everywhere, certain can read these number automaticly.

6. they may kindly share those plates and papers with their shanghai/outside shanghai business friends.

7. one day you may be stopped by a regular check in shanghai/zhejiang/jiangsu, as the mobile internet works around those region, you may be invited to have some questions even if everything is proven clear.

8. please pay attention to where you packing your motor, and it's better to cover it entirely as i did everyday. Or, you can start your special business before they action, there exists.

9. #39 Re: New newbie in Shanghai 
    shanghai blue plates are not suitable for our motorcycles ( 125cc + ), so i have no idea about it.
    bike stolen issue is quite complex, but the number plate stolen issue is comparatively easier. about 80rmb and one week you'd have them back. but it will be another new number probably.

10. #40 Re: New newbie in Shanghai 
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    If a 200RMB fine is the worst outcome of that scenario it actually seems like a pretty sweet deal.
    Just make sure you have a Shanghai yellow 沪C plate. Bikes with an out-of-Shanghai plate run the risk of getting impounded and sent back to its place of origin, as majority of the "Motorcycle Taxi" are plated out of Shanghai and much frowned upon by the Shanghai police, which would cost you a lot more than 200RMB plus the hassle to get it back.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast