Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. #41 Re: Lifan Pony 100- Chinese Grom-like bike - $999 shipped in the US. Anybody have 
    Although the auspicious feature could be removed far easier 100_0763.jpg

2. #42 Re: Lifan Pony 100- Chinese Grom-like bike - $999 shipped in the US. Anybody have 
    C-Moto Regular
    Haha. I spent some time in Malaysia in the 1990s and saw a bike with graphics that said "Blood Donor". I'm assuming the owner or graphics designer was going for something more dangerous-sounding than "Dare Devil" or "Crash Test Dummy."

3. #43 Re: Lifan Pony 100- Chinese Grom-like bike - $999 shipped in the US. Anybody have 
    I think I would rather be a 'cool boy' than a blood donor any day!

I noticed on your Pony's tires, they appear to have a little 'trail' vs. what the Skyteam clones come with? You could probably explore on it right out of the box.

4. #44 Re: Lifan Pony 100- Chinese Grom-like bike - $999 shipped in the US. Anybody have 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by culcune View Post
    I think I would rather be a 'cool boy' than a blood donor any day!

I noticed on your Pony's tires, they appear to have a little 'trail' vs. what the Skyteam clones come with? You could probably explore on it right out of the box.
    They're Duros. I think they're Duro Medians. Not bad. The bike also has nice one-piece aluminum wheels.

So I did the final prep, double-checked the bolts, charged the battery and changed oil. Cranked the starter for a second and it started right up. The idle was a tad slow, so I turned it up. I put about 2 miles on the bike and it runs and rides very smoothly. I hit 45mph on a short flat stretch. It could probably hit 50 w/ a longer, more aggressive run (after break-in).

Suspension is soft and cushy. Power delivery is smooth and soft too. It might wheelie in first, but nowhere else w/o a popped clutch. The bike is super quiet. It feels like it's very restricted in the intake/exhaust areas. An open pipe might wake it up a bit. The weight bias isn't all over the back wheel like on a CT70 clone, so to me the bike feels much better in the corners.

The bike shifts smoothly, but the 4-down shift pattern kinda stinks. The electric start sounds like gravel in a tin can.

The headlight is halogen and VERY BRIGHT ! Turn signals and tail/brake light are very bright also. No charcoal canister. There is an air "pump" tucked nicely under the tank. The digital Speedo is bright and easy to read.

So far so good. Seems like a lot of bike for $999 shipped.

5. #45 Re: Lifan Pony 100- Chinese Grom-like bike - $999 shipped in the US. Anybody have 
    My duro street tires on the TMEC have over 10k miles of commuting and still look good (and ride fine). However, the bike is now just sitting as I have been commuting on the TGB scooter (the huge delivery trunk, and the way a scooter rides, has been spoiling me!). A friend needs a battery for her 50cc Chinese BWS scooter, so I might just give the TMEC's battery to her, or at least loan it to her (it is a gel-cell battery). Anyway--off subject--Duros are good tires!! I would like one of these Pony bikes, but I need a top case at least as large as the one on my TMEC, and then it would be a summer bike (actually about 6 straight months) due to the fact that I can throw my helmet and jacket(s) in the trunk and forget about them (I work in the state prison, and there are no lockers for our stuff, so it stays in the vehicle and the fuller my case is, the more stressed I get).

6. #46 Re: Lifan Pony 100- Chinese Grom-like bike - $999 shipped in the US. Anybody have 
    C-Moto Regular
    I got out and rode another few miles. I'm still very pleased w/ the bike overall. 'Still getting used to the shift pattern. I live in a housing plan at the junction of 2 cul-de-sacs with a road coming in from a "main" road. So I've got an approx 1/4 mile straightaway in one direction and an approx 1/8th mile straightaway in another. At the end of each straight is a big wide circular turnaround. Most neighbors realize I'm harmless and just testing my toys. There are 1-2 who are just angry at the world.

None of my bikes are terribly loud, so on a cold day when everyone's inside, I can take as many runs as I want. Well, today was warm and there were lots of people out doing final lawn work before winter. The Pony is whisper quiet, so the unfriendly neighbors just frowned as I rode past (going thru gears, testing brakes, etc.) I got out the Dax to test the 17 tooth countershaft I installed and it's just loud enough that the most unfriendly neighbor started pointing and flailing about. I figured the cops would eventually be called, and I didn't want to talk to them about much, so I went to my backyard and shut the gate.

I received a Tbolt XR100 intake kit and 22mm Mikuni carb today. It looks like it's a near-direct fit for the Pony, but I've got a stronger urge to adapt it to my KLX140 or the Dax.

7. #47 Re: Lifan Pony 100- Chinese Grom-like bike - $999 shipped in the US. Anybody have 
    Quote Originally Posted by scottro View Post

I received a Tbolt XR100 intake kit and 22mm Mikuni carb today. It looks like it's a near-direct fit for the Pony, but I've got a stronger urge to adapt it to my KLX140 or the Dax.
    You know you want to try them on the Pony! But, all kidding aside, I would be interested to read about how they do on either one of your other bikes, too.

8. #48 Re: Lifan Pony 100- Chinese Grom-like bike - $999 shipped in the US. Anybody have 
    C-Moto Regular
    I'm accustomed to "unusual" internet dealerships, so this shouldn't have been a surprise. I need to email the seller with the bike's make, model, color, year, and VIN and my name and address to get my MSO.

9. #49 Re: Lifan Pony 100- Chinese Grom-like bike - $999 shipped in the US. Anybody have 
    Quote Originally Posted by scottro View Post
    I'm accustomed to "unusual" internet dealerships, so this shouldn't have been a surprise. I need to email the seller with the bike's make, model, color, year, and VIN and my name and address to get my MSO.
    ASPCUSA are supposed to be easy to work with and reliable, so you should have no problems. But it does seem a little odd that they sent you the bike, and you have to email them with details of the bike they sent you? Unless, of course, they drop ship right from Lifan in California, which would explain why you have to give the seller the details.

I wanted to ask--did they deliver to your home or a commercial dock? Do they offer home delivery? The price is up to $1200 now, but still states on the ad to a commercial dock.

http://www.apscusa.com/SALE-Lifan-Po...nly_p_443.html

I wonder if I can use you as a reference to get the $999 price

10. #50 Re: Lifan Pony 100- Chinese Grom-like bike - $999 shipped in the US. Anybody have 
    C-Moto Regular
    I'm not sure how much luck you'd have using me as a reference to get the $999 price ? LOL They might have just been clearing out 2014 models. Couldn't hurt to ask if they'd sell you one for $999 tho.

They brought it to my house and unloaded into the bed of my truck. The people at the local YRC shipping office are always really nice to deal with, and don't have a problem unloading into a truck bed, so maybe it's just them. It's def worth asking when they call you though. ASPCUSA emailed me back and said the registration paperwork is on it's way. Unlikely I can get a PA plate for it tho.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast