Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Survivor of a Close Call MotoDrunken's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by forchetto View Post
    That clutch cut-out switch is of a very weak design, don't think they will last too long on the harsh conditions in a bike.

One of the reasons I bought this bike was the absence of the usual Horror stories in forums and review sites concerning Chinese bikes. I only ever found one case of a chap that sent the bike back to the dealer because a total oil loss caused by a loose engine mount???, wrecked his piston, cylinder and camshaft.
    I have had a couple of loose spokes, and have had to retighten some engine support bolts, and a few light spots of rust in things like the brackets that are attached to the petrol tank for anchoring the seat, side "wings", etc. Otherwise I'm happy with the quality so far, it runs well and handles like Maradona...
    Hi Forchetto! Thank you very much for your comments. I also think this is a great little ride and that one only needs to check it up more often... until the time comes when it proves its mettle. Hey! even girl friends deserve that treatment... not to mention wife stories. Well, up to the point: I really doubt that a loose engine mount could`ve caused a total oil loss... that guy could also have trouble with his shoe laces... please get an eye on him, for God`s sake. I also don´t want it to handle or behave like Maradona in his latest form... some really weird things could happen! Enjoy your ride Bro! It feels really good to share some thoughts with people like you. Can I ask you something? Have you had a problem with restarting it after a wash? (a really careful initial wash) Mine let its spark plug cover to allow water to get in. It was easy to remedy (just unplugged it and dried it), but I now feel scared of riding it in our typical wet season tropical monsoons. Hope we`ll be in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    I just returned from a 5000 kilometer trip on the the QM200GY DualSport version. Overall, a pretty reliable machine with a couple minor problems . #1 The spokes and the rear sprocket must be checked every 1000 kilometers. If the spokes get loose, you may end up sheering the bolts off the rear sprocket. I had to purchase an entire rear wheel assembly. Should have checked spoke tension more often. #2 The stator failed during the trip and would not put out enough electricity to charge the battery. I'm going to try and find a Suzuki DR200 OEM Stator to replace the original. Other than that, a great little machine!

Cheers
    ChinaV
    Thank you Pal! Have you traced the cause of the stator problem? It should really sucks (no to mention scare you to death) to have that problem in the middle of nowhere. I`m glad you seemed to get over it good enough. Hope you luck in your hybrid transplantation attempts (It may work like an organ transplant from a twin brother, I hope).

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoDrunken View Post
    Mine let its spark plug cover to allow water to get in. It was easy to remedy (just unplugged it and dried it), but I now feel scared of riding it in our typical wet season tropical monsoons. Hope we`ll be in touch.
    Is yours fitted with a metal-clad spark plug cap?. These were a notorious source of trouble when Honda used them in the 70's and 80's.
    It got so bad that good dealers changed them before delivery,at their own expense, to avoid disgruntled riders coming back with the same troubles in the wet.
    They were originally fitted to cut down radio-TV interference, but nowadays with FM, UHF and Digital transmissions there's no danger in that.
    The metal clading is held by little tabs that can be bent out and they reveal a normal plastic cap. Otherwise just change it for a non-metallic one.
    It's one of those things that the Japs abandoned years ago and the Chinese have adopted for some reason, old stock?, old design?.

There's a thread that I started a while ago here:
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341

Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    The only thing I can think of is that for South America you might not need the emissions gear that the European bikes have. For example mine has an oxidation Catalyser inside the muffler, and the exhaust pipe close to the head has a port for a SAI (secondary air injection). Both could reduce the power to about the 15.4 HP they advertise in Europe.
    As the engine comes from a Suzuki DR200 and that makes about 20HP, I wonder what other things have changed, for example, the carburettor in Europe is 28mm, but the Suzuki's is 31 mm. Do you know what size carb is used in South America?.
    Ill try getting the info...

Two posts in the same thread by different folks that mention loose spokes and sprocket bolt failure... This is too much of a coincidence.
    I have found one or two spokes loose, but was happy to see Qingqi using bent-over tab washers for security of the sprocket bolts. Of course this is no good if the steel is of poor quality.
    I will be changing them for some high tensile steel items, grade 10.6 or better.
    Thanks for the warning on that.

We all know that turning on lights, etc, puts extra load on the engine, but most bike engines have sufficient torque at idle and don't even notice this. The Qingqi is peculiar in that switching on the headlight at idle makes the engine slow down by some 200-300 revs...this could have something to do with the poor stator, as you say.
    Another clue is that the regulator (just in front of the petrol tank on the right) runs very hot, even though it is in a superb place to receive plenty of cooling air. Just put your hand in the fins after a run.
    Any heat in a regulator device is a loss and the Qingqi one is running at a poor level of efficiency.

If you do find a DR200 stator, could you give us the part number?. This is to be able to walk into the Suzuki dealer, with head held high and ask for the correct item straight away. If not, the question will be: What bike, year, etc is it for?. When you answer "qingqi" they either fall about laughing, or their expression goes blank.
    You´re really right. We should be aware of those potential problems in order to get ahead of them, just in case. We must help each other in regards of the sources for must reliable parts. If Suzuki parts (especially the electrical ones) could be interchangeable with our current rides, it could give us some sort of "security blanket" to lay upon. And you´re right again: we must know what we`re looking for in Big S dealers, even if it`s just to expedite things up. I hope we don`t get any horror stories to comment, but if bad things happen, we better publish them immediately. "La unión hace la fuerza"

Is yours fitted with a metal-clad spark plug cap?. These were a notorious source of trouble when Honda used them in the 70's and 80's.
    It got so bad that good dealers changed them before delivery,at their own expense, to avoid disgruntled riders coming back with the same troubles in the wet.
    They were originally fitted to cut down radio-TV interference, but nowadays with FM, UHF and Digital transmissions there's no danger in that.
    The metal clading is held by little tabs that can be bent out and they reveal a normal plastic cap. Otherwise just change it for a non-metallic one.
    It's one of those things that the Japs abandoned years ago and the Chinese have adopted for some reason, old stock?, old design?.

There's a thread that I started a while ago here:
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341

Thanks again, but that`s not the case. Mine has a normal rubber cap. Maybe some dielectric grease in the upper electrode? Should work better than a spray of WD 40, I think. If you know of a proven way to avoid those problems, please let me know.

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    You´re really right. We should be aware of those potential problems in order to get ahead of them, just in case. We must help each other in regards of the sources for must reliable parts. If Suzuki parts (especially the electrical ones) could be interchangeable with our current rides, it could give us some sort of "security blanket" to lay upon. And you´re right again: we must know what we`re looking for in Big S dealers, even if it`s just to expedite things up. I hope we don`t get any horror stories to comment, but if bad things happen, we better publish them immediately. "La unión hace la fuerza"
    Now you mention it... Do we have a list of the compatible Suzuki parts??

Quote Originally Posted by posadajulian View Post
    Now you mention it... Do we have a list of the compatible Suzuki parts??
    Well, nothing official, Brother. Seems that carburetor, stator, switch gear, spark plug, oil filter, shift lever, front sprocket, and probably the piston, camshaft and related paraphernalia should work, as well as the gears inside the crankcase, from what I´ve heard. But as Carl told us before, maybe only by direct comparison we`ll be sure of that... and that involves always the risk of failure (trial and error).
    I have one question for you: Do you live in the high lands of Colombia (as in Bogotá)? and if that`s the case, how does the bike behave at altitudes higher than 1000 m? Have you had the experience? Tegucigalpa is only at about 1100m above sea level, but chances are I could end up riding it as high as 2000 m. Nothing to do with the altitudes at what you can ride in your country, but... just curious. "Saludos hermano, que estés bien"

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Well, nothing official, Brother. Seems that carburetor, stator, switch gear, spark plug, oil filter, shift lever, front sprocket, and probably the piston, camshaft and related paraphernalia should work, as well as the gears inside the crankcase, from what I´ve heard. But as Carl told us before, maybe only by direct comparison we`ll be sure of that... and that involves always the risk of failure (trial and error).
    I have one question for you: Do you live in the high lands of Colombia (as in Bogotá)? and if that`s the case, how does the bike behave at altitudes higher than 1000 m? Have you had the experience? Tegucigalpa is only at about 1100m above sea level, but chances are I could end up riding it as high as 2000 m. Nothing to do with the altitudes at what you can ride in your country, but... just curious. "Saludos hermano, que estés bien"

Hmm then we probably should start a thread or something regarding some tests on this compatibility.

About your question, i Live in medellin, its about 1500m above sea here, and i can tell you the bike behaves incredibly, i still havent got the bike for myself, but a friend of mine has it and he says it can climb on roads with some serious inclination at over 80 kmh (50 mph) , and he has gone arround 120 kmh (75 mph) on flat roads, so... the bike rocks

Que estes muy bien tu tambien =)

10. #20 Qingqi QM200GY-BA / Suzuki DR200SE stator assembly 
    Honorary C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    I'm going to try and find a Suzuki DR200 OEM Stator to replace the original.
    Jsut been to a site http://www.bikebandit.com with lots of microfiche-type documents and found references to a 2007 Suzuki DR200SE stator assembly. After picking myself off the floor on seeing the price, here are the part numbers and prices for all the magneto parts:

1: STATOR ASSY 491352-001 $234.57
    2: ROTOR ASSY 491424-001 $242.19
    3: SCREW 466051-001 $0.76
    4: NUT,MAGNETO ROT(M12X1.25) 2516616-001 $1.66
    5: SCREW 5860957-001 $0.76
    6: KEY 473604-001 $1.62

As a comparison I have the Spanish Qingqi importers price list and the entire magneto assembly is only $134...
    If you add all the items in the above list it comes to a total of $481.56.
    I doubt the quality is the same, or are the items the same and the prices adjusted simply to to be in proportion to the initial cost of the machines?.

Suzuki DR200SE (2007) magneto assembly:

And here's the Qingqi's magneto asssembly

They're similar and possibly compatible, but not exactly the same.

There's a special tool / puller to withdraw the rotor. This is the Suzuki one and fits lots of Suzuki singles. You could possibly make one or use a universal puller. I got the puller from the same people that sold me a Suzuki DR200SE workshop manual http://www.repairmanual.com/items/17/10475 and cost $19.55 :

Last edited by forchetto; 07-28-2008 at 07:23 PM.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast