Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
  1. #61 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    Euphonius, I think the point is that even if you are legal the 'polite and friendly cops doing their thankless dangerous task' (of embezzling the public's money for personal gain) will be poking for holes in your legality. The goal posts have changed and you now need to mount your registration plate on forward so you can now be fined using the speed and other traffic cameras lest you might only yield at a set of lights instead of slavishly stopping at them even when nothing's coming like the cars are forced to, even though you bought the bike like this to begin with but a few years ago. As well as glue stickers on that your province don't issue and do bi-annual testing that most people are too scared to because they'll say you emissions are too high, or that you've changed the bike from stock too much (even though they are just repairs) and take the bike or plates off you.

Basically if you don't have a decent quality bike or a bike under two years old you're probably illegal somehow, if they start dredging for it.

2. #62 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Euphonius, I think the point is that even if you are legal the 'polite and friendly cops doing their thankless dangerous task' (of embezzling the public's money for personal gain) will be poking for holes in your legality. The goal posts have changed and you now need to mount your registration plate on forward so you can now be fined using the speed and other traffic cameras lest you might yield at a set of lights instead of slavishly stopping at them even when nothing coming like the cars are forced to. Even though you bought the bike like this to begin with but a few years ago.
    Having lived in China for 22 years now, I remember the days when Beijing and other cities had virtually no private cars, and we privileged foreigners with our black plates could drive pretty much any way we pleased, anywhere, anytime. I did my best to obey the law even back then, though many laowai indulged in these privileges with great impunity.

I stand by my comment about being polite. Here's why. The cops doing the enforcement did not make these rules, but they have the difficult task of enforcing them when the standing committee or whoever decides it wants to inflict its authority on us. I've posted about seeing, with my own eyes, an unlicensed scooter actually run down a cop who was trying to collar him, and I'll admit I entertained thoughts of killing the futhermucker there and then.

Here's the deal: These crackdowns create a tone that we, motorcyclists, are somehow scofflaws or criminals or worse. I don't want to be lumped into that category. So I smile and salute to every cop I see while riding. I sometimes even stop to chat with them. When I do get stopped, I'm very friendly and commiserate with them, and urge them to be careful of the unlicensed riders who are willing to do just about anything -- even run a cop down -- to avoid being called to account for being unlicensed or otherwise illegal.

No, I don't like having my bike turned into an ATM, but it's not the guys in blue who are doing that. So please, for the sake of all legal riders and even the illegal riders, show some kindness to these guys, and maybe, just maybe, it will help to keep any latent sadistic streak at bay.

On the other hand, let your anger flare about "the injustice of it all" and all you will do is reinforce the cops' perception that we foreigners think we're above the law.

It's not sanctimony, it's called karma banking. Make a deposit today!

cheers
    Last edited by euphonius; 09-10-2012 at 05:54 AM.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #63 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Here's a pic of the inspection sticker. I just did a few bikes' inspections, and each received a new sticker clipped to my payment receipt. Apparently (although I am not 100% sure), this is the proper location for mounting on a plate.

I'll try to get a tax book scan up, also. It is small enough to fit inside the blue book.

As for the front plate, I think it is fine on the right side, front fork down tube. I am kinda guessing, but I suspect that the "poor saps" who get fined and point-penalized are probably loud-mouthed teenagers ... like I was, back in the dark ages ... mouthing off to some cop that stopped me - and ending up getting ticketed for insufficient tread depth, pipes too loud, and anything else the cop could dream up. Sure, I could fight them (and did), but what a friggin' hassle! Age teaches us to keep our mouth shut. Yes sir, no sir, three bags full.

I was out this morning, got stopped in a massive road block, and couldn't help notice that the police bikes had fork-mounted front plates. Nope, I did NOT draw that to their attention. I was also too chicken to walk around the rear of the police bikes looking for the 2-year inspection stickers.

Also, check out the link below re the 500 new YBR250 police bikes in Beijing ... see any front plates?

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90882/7659561.html

4. #64 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    tax booklet is a dark navy blue, shows that tax was paid...
    inside it display on the inside front page the registered owners name, engine number, chassis number, rego/plate number, tax office name, and person from tax office who processed the tax payment, plus the tax office stamp/chop. The following page has the tax office stamp/chop again.

Tax booklet.jpg

5. #65 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Here's a pic of the inspection sticker.
    New plate number! -> 60 year old 007?
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

6. #66 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    Now I'm confused. When I recently reregistered, no one asked for a tax payment. I did pay tax on the original purchase of the bike, and assumed that was the end of it. Bikerdoc, have you used that tax book for anything since the original purchase of a given bike? Or do you just schlepp it around with you during the 12-year legal life of the bike?

Thanks!
    jkp
    Shanghai

7. #67 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Now I'm confused. When I recently reregistered, no one asked for a tax payment. I did pay tax on the original purchase of the bike, and assumed that was the end of it. Bikerdoc, have you used that tax book for anything since the original purchase of a given bike? Or do you just schlepp it around with you during the 12-year legal life of the bike?
    Thanks!
    Ah, you are not confused Euphonius, the tax booklet is issued one time only, you would have got one, with your bike after completing all the formalities, and you must have had it or there is no way you'd have been your plate. I've never used the tax booklet, nor have I ever been asked for them. I carry my tax book with all the usual required legal paraphernalia with each bike in a resealable bag. That way when I need anything for whatever purpose I can sling said bag out and everything is at hand.

There is no other issue of said tax booklet, e.g. one doesn't get issued another with re-inspection

8. #68 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    Ah, you are not confused Euphonius, the tax booklet is issued one time only, you would have got one, with your bike after completing all the formalities, and you must have had it or there is no way you'd have been your plate. I've never used the tax booklet, nor have I ever been asked for them. I carry my tax book with all the usual required legal paraphernalia with each bike in a resealable bag. That way when I need anything for whatever purpose I can sling said bag out and everything is at hand.

There is no other issue of said tax booklet, e.g. one doesn't get issued another with re-inspection
    Thanks, bikerdoc. I vaguely remember getting this booklet, and I think I even know where I've stowed it. As I own only one bike, I carry license, registration and insurance info in a doubled ziploc bag that I keep on my person while riding. Not sure what I'd do if I had a whole stable like you do.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

9. #69 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    Banned
    Russian scooter rider struck, killed by sedan
    SHANGHAIDAILY NEWSPAPER EDITION
    Jan 15, 2013

A RUSSIAN man riding a scooter was hit and killed by a sedan in a traffic crash early yesterday at an intersection in Hongkou District, police said.

The crash happened about 3:40am at the intersection of Zhoujiazui and Dalian roads at the border of Hongkou and Yangpu districts, police said.

The victim, who appeared in his early 20s, was a student of the University of Shanghai for Science and Technology. He was driving a gasoline-powered scooter. His name and age were not disclosed. No further details of the crash were available as the investigation was still ongoing.

City traffic police reminded foreigners, especially students, in November to be careful while riding their two-wheelers and ensure that the scooters and mopeds they use are safe and licensed.

Police said that in Yangpu District, which is home to several universities, it is quite common to see students riding scooters, often without a license plate.

The warning came after a foreign student on a scooter was injured in a collision with another rider in Yangpu on November 5.

"Many foreign students like to buy the scooters and drive them fast," said Li Bin, a squad leader with Yangpu traffic police. "It's very dangerous."

Last year, police reported at least 10 cases of traffic violations involving foreign students riding scooters, which led to several accidents.

Yesterday's crash was the second fatality involving foreigners riding scooters since October.

On October 11, a 33-year-old French man riding a scooter died after he was hit by a taxi at the intersection of downtown Wulumuqi and Hengshan roads in Xuhui District. Investigators said the victim ran a red light.

10. #70 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    Banned
    Motorcycle racers punished for first time under new law
    SHANGHAI DAILY NEWSPAPER
    Jan 15, 2013

Two motorcyclists, who zipped through Shanghai at speeds of over 100 kilometers per hour, were given the first sentences handed down for illegal motorcycle racing by a local court under an amendment to Chinese Criminal Law.

The amendment, which took effect on May 1, 2011, created a new crime - dangerous driving - that includes illegal racing.

The men raced through the city's streets on loud, souped-up motorcycles and even escaped from a motorcycle cop.

One of the riders, Jin Jing promised he would never illegally race on city streets again at the Pudong New Area People's Court yesterday.

Jin, 30, was sentenced to three months of detention with a three-month reprieve for dangerous driving. The other rider, Zhang Jiwei, 24, was given four months of detention with a four-month reprieve.

Prosecutors said the pair crossed the city on high-powered motorcycles on the night of February 3. They ran red lights, drove at very high speeds and broke other traffic rules over 28.5 kilometers.

It took them 40 minutes to ride from Leyuan Road in Pudong, along Nanpu Bridge to Lujiabang Road in downtown Huangpu District. There, they were spotted by traffic police.

The pair sped up and escaped from a motorcycle cop, fleeing by Henan Road S. and then entering the Fuxing Road E. tunnel to get away. Zhang said they went to his home in Pudong. Police tracked Zhang through surveillance video and detained him at home on February 6. Jin turned himself in.

Prosecutors said the men once reached 108 kilometers per hour on Nanpu Bridge and 102 kph in the tunnel. The speed limit for both is 60 kph.

Before the new law, the heaviest punishment for drivers was a detention of 15 days.

"It is a must to let drivers know how serious dangerous driving is," prosecutors said.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast